Exploring Gravity: What is the Ultimate Force?

• Thread starter Deicider
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of gravity and its role in the creation of time and space. The idea of singularity is discussed, with the understanding that it is a mathematical breakdown of theories and is being continuously studied and improved upon by scientists. Various theories are mentioned, including those that seek to explain what happened before the Big Bang and how singularities can be solved in the context of Superstring Theory. The BBC documentary on the topic is also recommended as a source of information.
Deicider
"ultimate" gravity

Am not a scientist or physicist or even good at those,i have limited knowledge.
I've been wondering about gravity and with my humble knowledge am trying to making sense of it.

"Singularity" was the ultimate massive black hole,it exploded/expanded giving space and time.
It seems that unlike other forces gravity is the most fundamental,since it moves around stars and galaxies.
The most basic property of matter: attraction.Without it i don't think anything would form.

What i want to say is that it seems to me that gravity is the force that "creates" time and space.

If universe was crushed into a singularity that only means gravity "Pulled" space and time Inside the singularity,why? because it might be space and time itself.

We're assuming bang and crunch are caused by gravity(as far as i know).
If something like that can suppress time and space into a tiny bit and then expand space then its pretty obvious that they are directly associated.

Not taking account dark energy and matter which takes up 90%+ of the universe,other dimensions etc.
So am making a huge amateur assumptions.
Does this makes any sense?

Edit: just noticed it went to the wrong subforum,i think this goes somewhere in cosmology or smth.

Physics news on Phys.org

"Singularity" is a model-dependent idea. A singularity is a failure of some particular manmade theory.

So whether or not you have a singularity depends on which manmade theory you are using---it is a mathematical breakdown where the formulas start to give infinities or meaningless unreliable numbers.

A singularity is generally taken by scientists as a sign that the theory doesn't cover that case and has been pushed beyond its limits, so they start working on how to FIX IT. How to modify the theory so that the singularity breakdown will not occur.

This has happened repeatedly in different branches of physics.

In the case of cosmology the theory that fails is the 1915 version of General Relativity. When you use it to describe the early universe it breaks at the start of expansion. But it's a fine old classic theory and could do with some improvement.

So people have been hard at work developing cosmological models that don't develop a singularity, or glitch. Classic Einstein GR is almost 100 years old and it is widely recognized that it needs to be modified so as not to break down in extreme conditions (extreme density especially).

Last edited:

Here's a discussion thread we had in Cosmology subforum called "Before Big Bang"
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=428978

It discussed various models physicists are working on that deal with what process or conditions could have led to the big bang and taken part at the onset of expansion.

Somewhere in that discussion thread somebody gave links to a one-hour BBC program on that topic. The BBC program was titled "What happened before the big bang"

The program covered a range of half dozen ideas some of which I think are too vague and fancy. My taste favors the simplest model that gets the job done so to speak. But people's assessments differ widely, so I will copy all 6 links. Each link is to a 10 minute segment.
So you get 60 minutes in all.YouTube - BBC Horizon 2010: 1/6 What Happened Before the Big Bang
YouTube - BBC Horizon 2010: 2/6 What Happened Before the Big Bang
YouTube - BBC Horizon 2010: 3/6 What Happened Before the Big Bang
YouTube - BBC Horizon 2010: 4/6 What Happened Before the Big Bang
YouTube - BBC Horizon 2010: 5/6 What Happened Before the Big Bang
YouTube - BBC Horizon 2010: 6/6 What Happened Before the Big Bang

Quantum Electrodynamics experiences singularities since the force of electromagnetism is dependent on distance therefore when your distance approaches zero your force diverges. Also Gravitational Singularities/Black Holes are an example of a singularity but can be solved in the context of Superstring Theory by using Fuzzballs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzzball_(string_theory ). By the way I watched the documentary marcus posted and it's very informative, I loved the fact that was situated at the Perimeter Institute.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought towards each other.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity works by the force of attraction between two objects with mass. The larger the mass of an object, the stronger the gravitational force will be. This force is described by Newton's law of universal gravitation.

3. What is the ultimate force of gravity?

The ultimate force of gravity is the force of attraction between all objects in the universe. This force is constantly acting on all objects with mass, and it is responsible for keeping the planets in orbit around the sun.

4. How is gravity related to the curvature of space-time?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is not a force but rather a curvature in the fabric of space-time caused by the presence of mass and energy. This curvature determines the path that objects with mass will follow, leading to the force of gravity.

5. Can gravity be explained by quantum mechanics?

Currently, there is no complete explanation of gravity in the framework of quantum mechanics. While there have been attempts to unify gravity with other fundamental forces, such as the strong and weak nuclear forces, a complete understanding of gravity at the quantum level is still a topic of ongoing research.