1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ultra capacitor

1. Oct 11, 2005 #1
    Ultra caps have come to Digikey ...YAY..
    you can now buy a 110 Farad capacitor with a working voltage of 2.5V for $31.20 in quantities of one..
    for more info google ' UltraCapacitor ' or the newest ' nanogate ultracapacitor.'
    or check out whats happening at Maxwell technologies
    http://www.maxwell.com/ultracapacitors/products/BMOD2600-48.html
    lots of stuff to look foward to in the future..

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2005 #2
    the reason i posted that, was , ehem , *clears throat , hesitates*
    in the hope that soon somone with a lot of cash , will fund a lightning project..
    with ultra capacitors super low ESR ( equilivent series resistance ) on the order of a few tenths milli ohms, (0.18 milli ohms for the 5000 Farad version) it seems to me that ten thousand of them stacked upon each other would only equal 1.8 ohms.. i realize that 10k @ 2.5V only eqals 25,000V ..
    Howcome lightning arresters are only rated @ 6 k V ?
    there really isnt much new data out there on lightning , same old sites..
    although i havnt checked the U of Florida site lately.
    anyway yes lightning is on the order of millions of volts , but is it really ?
    what i mean is it must loose some of its voltage traveling through the atmosphere..
    with todays super fast electronics , you would think that we could detect an over-voltage situation and quickly switch out to ground when the bank is full..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook