1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ultracentrifuge Problem

1. Mar 31, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Ultracentrifuge Problem

Find the required angular speed (in rpm) of an ultracentrifuge for the radial acceleration of a point .0250 m from the axis to equal 400000g. g=9.8 m/s^2.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2008 #2
    Oh sorry I put this in the wrong subforum.

4. Mar 31, 2008 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Looks like it got moved okay. You need to show us your work in order for us to offer tutorial help (that's the rules). What is the equation that relates angular velocity to angular acceleration? How would you use that equation (being careful with your units) to solve the problem?

5. Mar 31, 2008 #4
    I'm not sure but do I have to use Ac = V^2 / R ? Then, after solving for velocity, I would have to convert it to omega? w = V/R ?

6. Mar 31, 2008 #5

berkeman

That sounds like a good approach.

7. Mar 31, 2008 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your on the right track, but the question wants the angular speed in revolutions per minute not radians per second.

Edit: Sorry berkeman, didn't see you there.

8. Mar 31, 2008 #7
    Oh yea I was aware I had to do unit conversion, but thanks for bringing that up, and thank you for your help Hoot and berk.

9. Mar 31, 2008 #8
    It seems like the approach is not working. So I first used Ac = V^2 / R and so first I did 400000 * 9.8 * .025 and square rooted the answer to get my Velocity then I divided it by .025 to get my omega which should be in rad/s right now, then I divided it by 2pi and divided it by 60 so that my answer should be in rpm and ended up with 33.2 rpm, which the system says is wrong.

10. Mar 31, 2008 #9

berkeman

If you have an answer in revolutions per second, should you divide or multiply to get an answer in RPM?

BTW, it would be best if you carried units along with your calculations for each quantity, and make sure that units are cancelling out with each operation. At each step in manipulating equations, the units on the left side of the + sign must match the units on the RHS. And each additive quantity on the LHS and RHS must have the same units.

Carrying units along with the quantities makes it easy to know whether to divide or multiply by 60. Quiz Question -- why?

11. Mar 31, 2008 #10
    Ah... dumb me... should've multiplied not divided by 60 -.-' Thank you again...

12. Mar 31, 2008 #11

berkeman

Good job. Get in the habit of carrying units along in your equations, and you will be amazed at how much that helps you keep things straight. One of the best tricks I learned in my first year of Undergrad. :cool:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?