Ultracentrifuge Angular Speed Calculation

• Thread starter richylai
  • Start date
In summary, you need to find the angular speed of an ultracentrifuge for the radial acceleration of a point .0250 m from the axis to equal 400000g. g=9.8 m/s^2. Using the equation Ac = V^2 / R, you first solve for velocity and then convert to omega.
richylai
[SOLVED] Ultracentrifuge Problem

Find the required angular speed (in rpm) of an ultracentrifuge for the radial acceleration of a point .0250 m from the axis to equal 400000g. g=9.8 m/s^2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh sorry I put this in the wrong subforum.

Looks like it got moved okay. You need to show us your work in order for us to offer tutorial help (that's the rules). What is the equation that relates angular velocity to angular acceleration? How would you use that equation (being careful with your units) to solve the problem?

I'm not sure but do I have to use Ac = V^2 / R ? Then, after solving for velocity, I would have to convert it to omega? w = V/R ?

richylai said:
I'm not sure but do I have to use Ac = V^2 / R ? Then, after solving for velocity, I would have to convert it to omega? w = V/R ?

That sounds like a good approach.

richylai said:
Your on the right track, but the question wants the angular speed in revolutions per minute not radians per second.

Edit: Sorry berkeman, didn't see you there.

Oh yea I was aware I had to do unit conversion, but thanks for bringing that up, and thank you for your help Hoot and berk.

It seems like the approach is not working. So I first used Ac = V^2 / R and so first I did 400000 * 9.8 * .025 and square rooted the answer to get my Velocity then I divided it by .025 to get my omega which should be in rad/s right now, then I divided it by 2pi and divided it by 60 so that my answer should be in rpm and ended up with 33.2 rpm, which the system says is wrong.

richylai said:
It seems like the approach is not working. So I first used Ac = V^2 / R and so first I did 400000 * 9.8 * .025 and square rooted the answer to get my Velocity then I divided it by .025 to get my omega which should be in rad/s right now, then I divided it by 2pi and divided it by 60 so that my answer should be in rpm and ended up with 33.2 rpm, which the system says is wrong.

If you have an answer in revolutions per second, should you divide or multiply to get an answer in RPM?

BTW, it would be best if you carried units along with your calculations for each quantity, and make sure that units are cancelling out with each operation. At each step in manipulating equations, the units on the left side of the + sign must match the units on the RHS. And each additive quantity on the LHS and RHS must have the same units.

Carrying units along with the quantities makes it easy to know whether to divide or multiply by 60. Quiz Question -- why?

Ah... dumb me... should've multiplied not divided by 60 -.-' Thank you again...

richylai said:
Ah... dumb me... should've multiplied not divided by 60 -.-' Thank you again...

Good job. Get in the habit of carrying units along in your equations, and you will be amazed at how much that helps you keep things straight. One of the best tricks I learned in my first year of Undergrad. :cool:

1. What is an ultracentrifuge?

An ultracentrifuge is a scientific instrument used to separate particles of different sizes and densities in a solution by spinning them at extremely high speeds.

2. How does an ultracentrifuge work?

An ultracentrifuge works by using centrifugal force to push particles towards the bottom of the centrifuge tube. The particles are separated based on their size and density, with smaller and less dense particles settling at the top and larger and more dense particles settling at the bottom.

3. What are the applications of an ultracentrifuge?

An ultracentrifuge is commonly used in biochemistry and molecular biology research to isolate and purify biomolecules such as proteins, DNA, and RNA. It can also be used in pharmaceuticals, food science, and environmental science.

4. What are some common problems encountered when using an ultracentrifuge?

Some common problems encountered when using an ultracentrifuge include imbalance of the centrifuge rotor, overfilling of the centrifuge tubes, and incorrect sample preparation. These issues can lead to inaccurate results or damage to the instrument.

5. How can the problem of sample contamination be avoided when using an ultracentrifuge?

To avoid sample contamination, it is important to properly clean and sterilize all equipment and materials used in the ultracentrifugation process. It is also recommended to use separate equipment and tubes for different samples and to avoid cross-contamination by carefully handling the samples.