Can R4 be replaced with a jumper in an ultrasonic generator circuit?

In summary, the circuit is an ultrasonic generator to 500 kHz, but it needs some improvements. The components need to be in a better position, and the resistors need to be changed to reduce variability.
javi2018
I let you a circuit that is an ultrasonic generator to 500 khz, you feel free to include some improvement.
circuito_500_khz.png

Attachments

• circuito_500_khz.png
    circuito_500_khz.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 1,973
Engineering news on Phys.org
javi2018 said:
I let you a circuit that is an ultrasonic generator to 500 khz, you feel free to include some improvement.
View attachment 214672
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Where did you get the schematic? Can you describe how it works in detail? Can you provide a datasheet for the ultrasonic transducer? Have you simulated this circuit using a SPICE package? Did you run a Monte Carlo simulation as part of the SPICE simulations?

I found the schematic navigating the internet and with trial error I was manipulating the values until I adjusted them, I tested the circuit in OrCad (pspice) but without buzzer, the piezoelectric disk that I used is 1.7Mhz and a static capacitance of 1800pF but I do not have a datasheet for this, which it are used for water atomization.
I'm not an engineer, so I can not clarify much more how it works, I just wanted to share it with others. :wink:

javi2018 said:
View attachment 214672
R1 seems to be in the wrong position to provide DC stabilisation of the transistor. R4 does not seem necessary.
Not sure why the circuit is so complicated. I am not certain of the basic concept of this oscillator as it has components sprinkled everywhere.

tech99 said:
R4 does not seem necessary.

Unless I am missing something R2, R3 and R4 can be replaced by a single 18k resistor.

tech99 said:
R1 seems to be in the wrong position to provide DC stabilisation of the transistor.
It's not meant to, it is for current sensing.

Overall, the circuit seems a modification of the Butler Emitter Follower oscillator. I seem to recall similar circuits in ultrasonic cleaners but I don't remember the specifics; it was many years ago.

Indeed, I forgot to comment, the circuit I extracted from a web of ultrasonic cleaners.

Borek said:
Unless I am missing something R2, R3 and R4 can be replaced by a single 18k resistor.

Yes somethings up with that bit.

R4 (100R) is less than 1% of R2//R3. Can't see why the overall resistance is that critical.

CWatters said:
Yes somethings up with that bit.

R4 (100R) is less than 1% of R2//R3. Can't see why the overall resistance is that critical.

Even assuming R2 and R3 to be 1% resistors, variability of their equivalent resistance is larger than 100 Ω (trivial estimate suggests it should be somewhere in the 17.7-18.1 kΩ).

Likes CWatters
Borek said:
Even assuming R2 and R3 to be 1% resistors, variability of their equivalent resistance is larger than 100 Ω (trivial estimate suggests it should be somewhere in the 17.7-18.1 kΩ).
and 18K is a standard value.

I'd guess R4 is just a jumper to get signal across a PCB track.

Likes dlgoff and berkeman

1. What is an ultrasonic generator 500kHz?

An ultrasonic generator 500kHz is a type of electrical device that generates high frequency sound waves at a frequency of 500,000 Hertz, or 500 kHz. These sound waves are beyond the range of human hearing and are typically used for industrial and medical purposes.

2. How does an ultrasonic generator 500kHz work?

An ultrasonic generator 500kHz works by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy, which creates high frequency vibrations. These vibrations are then transferred through a medium, such as air or liquid, and can be used for various applications such as cleaning, welding, and medical imaging.

3. What are the applications of an ultrasonic generator 500kHz?

The applications of an ultrasonic generator 500kHz are diverse and include industrial processes such as welding, cutting, and cleaning, as well as medical applications like imaging, surgery, and therapy. They are also used in various scientific and research fields for experiments and testing.

4. How is an ultrasonic generator 500kHz different from other ultrasonic generators?

An ultrasonic generator 500kHz is different from other ultrasonic generators in terms of its frequency range. While most ultrasonic generators operate in the range of 20-100 kHz, a 500kHz generator produces much higher frequency sound waves. This makes it more suitable for certain applications that require more precision and power.

5. What are the benefits of using an ultrasonic generator 500kHz?

The benefits of using an ultrasonic generator 500kHz include its ability to produce high frequency sound waves that can penetrate and clean small crevices and hard to reach areas. It also has a higher precision and power, making it suitable for more delicate processes. Additionally, it is a non-invasive and environmentally friendly technology, making it a preferred choice for medical and industrial applications.