Fix Ultrasonic Processor Problem - 20 kHz, 500W Power

In summary, the conversation discusses issues with an ultrasonic processor with a frequency of 20 kHz and an output power that can be varied from 20% to 100% (500W). The problem is that it doesn't work at 100% and overheats, causing the piezoelements inside to break. The conversation also mentions using dry cold air to cool down the converter, but it is sealed. The participants discuss solutions and suggest testing the Hielscher brand processor, which has not had any trouble with overheating. The conversation ends with the participants discussing the use of the processor for research purposes.
knopik
I am dealing with the ultrasonic processor with the frequency 20 kHz. It's output power can be varied from 20% to 100% (500W). The problem is that it doesn't work at 100%. Even at 90% it works only for 1 min. At the power lower than 70% it operates longer time.

Could you help me to find out the reason.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It's overheating the driver circuit. Cool down the output transistors or heat sink them properly.

knopik said:
I am dealing with the ultrasonic processor with the frequency 20 kHz. It's output power can be varied from 20% to 100% (500W). The problem is that it doesn't work at 100%. Even at 90% it works only for 1 min. At the power lower than 70% it operates longer time.

Could you help me to find out the reason.

Have you asked the manufacturer? Is the installation per the manufacturer's guidelines?

chemisttree said:
It's overheating the driver circuit. Cool down the output transistors or heat sink them properly.

you are right - the problem is in overheating. The piezoelements inside the converter have been broken - the hole in one of it. The converter schould be cooled down with dry cold air, but it is sealed.

berkeman said:
Have you asked the manufacturer? Is the installation per the manufacturer's guidelines?

There is no specific installation that is required to this us device. I am in touch with the technician from the company where this device has been bought. He suggested me to cool down the converter with dry cold air when using the device continuously at the maximal output power longer than even 10 min. The problem is that the converter is sealed. How to solve it?

Is the sonic head matched to the output power of the driver? Sounds a bit oversized to me or the design of the equipment is lacking. The equipment is probably sealed for a reason but if you feel brave, by all means... Dremel On!

Have you tested the http://www.hielscher.com/ultrasonics/products.htm" for quite some time. No trouble, no overheat. Comes at a price though :uhh:. However reading your problems I'm lucky I spent the extra bucks
What are you using your processor for? Welding?

Regards,

Alan

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Alan.
Thank you very much for your reply. Last year we bought Hielscher UIP1000 (the same as you did). You are completely right - there is no trouble with processor except the quick erosion of the sonotrode's surface. But it is almost nothing with the overheating of a small one (Sonic's&Materials, 500W). Now there are two processors in our lab. Actually we changed convertor and sonotrode of the small device + switch on the 'air cooling' and it more less works at each amplitude (from 20% to 100%).
Both processors are involved in research: examination effect of the ultrasound on the morphology and catalytic properties of nanoparticles as well as formation of bimetallic either core-shell or alloy nanoparticles. And you?
Darya

AlanDonell said:
Have you tested the http://www.hielscher.com/ultrasonics/products.htm" for quite some time. No trouble, no overheat. Comes at a price though :uhh:. However reading your problems I'm lucky I spent the extra bucks
What are you using your processor for? Welding?

Regards,

Alan

Last edited by a moderator:
The faster erosion is most likely due to higher amplitudes. Erosion results from cavitation and cavitation is a clear sign of ultrasonic action. If the erosion is faster than on the other equipment, this could mean that the amplitude of your first unit was lower. Did you get the power metering device from Hielscher? I suggest you use that with your other unit for comparison.
I use my system for nanoparticle dispersion to make clear coatings with enhanced scratch and UV resistance. I've been working with other brand sonicators before. At that time I thought my particles weren't small enough. I ran through a couple broken converters, too - most of which I had to pay! Switching to Hielscher made a huge difference. My UIP1000 is really good German engineering. Now I get my nanomaterials to be nano.
Regards,
Alan

1. What is an ultrasonic processor and how does it work?

An ultrasonic processor is a device that uses high-frequency sound waves to mix, homogenize, or break down materials. It works by converting electrical energy into mechanical vibrations, which are then transmitted to a probe or horn that comes into contact with the material being processed.

2. What are some common problems that can occur with a 20 kHz, 500W power ultrasonic processor?

Some common problems that can occur with an ultrasonic processor of this frequency and power include overheating, damaged or worn out probes, and frequency drift.

3. How can I troubleshoot an issue with my 20 kHz, 500W power ultrasonic processor?

If you are experiencing problems with your ultrasonic processor, the first step is to check the power supply and make sure it is functioning properly. You should also inspect the probe for any signs of damage or wear. If the issue persists, consult the manufacturer's manual for further troubleshooting steps.

4. What is the proper maintenance routine for a 20 kHz, 500W power ultrasonic processor?

Regular maintenance is crucial for keeping your ultrasonic processor in good working condition. This can include cleaning the probe after each use, checking for any loose connections, and replacing worn out parts as needed. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule.

5. Can I use my 20 kHz, 500W power ultrasonic processor for different applications?

Yes, depending on the design and capabilities of your ultrasonic processor, it may be suitable for various applications such as emulsification, cell disruption, or dispersion. However, it is important to consult the manufacturer's guidelines and make any necessary adjustments to the settings for different applications.