Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ultrasonic processor

1. Jan 30, 2008 #1
    I am dealing with the ultrasonic processor with the frequency 20 kHz. It's output power can be varied from 20% to 100% (500W). The problem is that it doesn't work at 100%. Even at 90% it works only for 1 min. At the power lower than 70% it operates longer time.

Could you help me to find out the reason.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2008 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's overheating the driver circuit. Cool down the output transistors or heat sink them properly.

4. Feb 4, 2008 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Have you asked the manufacturer? Is the installation per the manufacturer's guidelines?

5. Feb 14, 2008 #4
    you are right - the problem is in overheating. The piezoelements inside the converter have been broken - the hole in one of it. The converter schould be cooled down with dry cold air, but it is sealed.

6. Feb 14, 2008 #5
    There is no specific installation that is required to this us device. I am in touch with the technician from the company where this device has been bought. He suggested me to cool down the converter with dry cold air when using the device continuously at the maximal output power longer than even 10 min. The problem is that the converter is sealed. How to solve it?

7. Feb 15, 2008 #6

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is the sonic head matched to the output power of the driver? Sounds a bit oversized to me or the design of the equipment is lacking. The equipment is probably sealed for a reason but if you feel brave, by all means... Dremel On!

8. Apr 2, 2009 #7
  9. Apr 3, 2009 #8
    Hi, Alan.
    Thank you very much for your reply. Last year we bought Hielscher UIP1000 (the same as you did). You are completely right - there is no trouble with processor except the quick erosion of the sonotrode's surface. But it is almost nothing with the overheating of a small one (Sonic's&Materials, 500W). Now there are two processors in our lab. Actually we changed convertor and sonotrode of the small device + switch on the 'air cooling' and it more less works at each amplitude (from 20% to 100%).
    Both processors are involved in research: examination effect of the ultrasound on the morphology and catalytic properties of nanoparticles as well as formation of bimetallic either core-shell or alloy nanoparticles. And you?
    Darya

10. Apr 3, 2009 #9
    The faster erosion is most likely due to higher amplitudes. Erosion results from cavitation and cavitation is a clear sign of ultrasonic action. If the erosion is faster than on the other equipment, this could mean that the amplitude of your first unit was lower. Did you get the power metering device from Hielscher? I suggest you use that with your other unit for comparison.
    I use my system for nanoparticle dispersion to make clear coatings with enhanced scratch and UV resistance. I've been working with other brand sonicators before. At that time I thought my particles weren't small enough. I ran through a couple broken converters, too - most of which I had to pay! Switching to Hielscher made a huge difference. My UIP1000 is really good German engineering. Now I get my nanomaterials to be nano.
    Regards,
    Alan

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?