What is the speed of sound in an alloy with 91.67% gold and 8.33% copper?

In summary, The speed of sound through a metal alloy made of 91.67% AU and 8.33% CU cannot be determined with certainty, as there is no consistent value for the speed of sound in copper. However, it can be approximated using the bulk modulus and density of the mixture, which can be calculated using the average densities of the two elements. Sources such as Hyperphysics can provide a formula for this calculation.
I and Me
Hi there ,
I have been trying to work out what the speed of sound is when passing through a metal alloy made out of 91.67% AU and 8.33% CU.
If anyone here knows,would you care to share, or point me to a place where I can find out ?
Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
I and Me said:
Hi there ,
I have been trying to work out what the speed of sound is when passing through a metal alloy made out of 91.67% AU and 8.33% CU.
If anyone here knows,would you care to share, or point me to a place where I can find out ?
Thank you very much
Several sites, e.g., Hypherphysics, have the speed of sound in gold with a value of 3240 m/s. I can't find a consistent value for copper though.

The speed of sound would be dominated by the gold content.

If one can find the bulk modulus and density of the mixture then one can apply a forumla to get an approximate value:

v = √(B/ρ)

Ref: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/souspe2.html#c1

One could approximate the density of the mixture using the average determined from the element densities weighted according to atomic fraction.

1. What is ultrasonic speed in alloys?

Ultrasonic speed in alloys refers to the speed at which sound waves travel through a specific type of metal or alloy. This speed is measured in meters per second and can vary depending on the composition and structure of the alloy.

2. How is ultrasonic speed in alloys measured?

Ultrasonic speed in alloys is typically measured using a device called an ultrasonic thickness gauge. This device sends high frequency sound waves through the alloy and measures the time it takes for the waves to bounce back. The speed of the waves can then be calculated based on the distance traveled and the time taken.

3. What factors can affect ultrasonic speed in alloys?

The composition, temperature, and microstructure of an alloy can all affect its ultrasonic speed. Different elements and their concentrations can alter the speed of sound waves, and changes in temperature can also impact the alloy's density and therefore its speed. Additionally, the presence of internal flaws or defects in the alloy's microstructure can affect the transmission of sound waves and alter the measured speed.

4. What are some applications of measuring ultrasonic speed in alloys?

Measuring ultrasonic speed in alloys can be useful in a variety of industries, such as aerospace, automotive, and manufacturing. It can be used to assess the quality and integrity of metal components, detect flaws or defects, and monitor changes in material properties over time.

5. How does ultrasonic speed in alloys compare to other materials?

The ultrasonic speed in alloys is typically higher than in other materials, such as plastics or ceramics. This is due to the higher density and stiffness of metals compared to these materials. However, the speed can still vary significantly between different types of alloys and their compositions.