Ultrasonic Testing in Industrial Applications

• Thread starter snowJT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ultrasonic
In summary, UT is a form of non-destructive testing used to inspect a production piece for flaws. It can be used to monitor the development of flaws during operation or assure that any flaw does not exceed a critical size. UT can be used to image a flaw, and in medical systems, image internal organs.
snowJT
Has anybody here used ultra sonic testings for internal flaws in metals in the intdustry? If so what purposes did you use it for? Only things I can think of someone using it would be to check inside pipes without turning off the flow...?

Engineering news on Phys.org
We sometimes use ultrasonic inspection to inspect turbine and compressor discs for cracks.

is it a fun instrument to use? and does it also tell you how far from the surface it is?

I don't personally use the instrument. It is used in our repair and overhaul group. I have seen it used but never been the driver.

snowJT said:
is it a fun instrument to use? and does it also tell you how far from the surface it is?

yeah it does ... other dimensions included if all goes well. There are a number of really advanced ultrasonic testing methods which produce very impressive results regarding the flaw, and in some cases even about its behavior under loading (for example like tofd, toft) ... the "volumetric coverage" is quite different than what you get with 'traditional' ultrasonic testing. Have tested how it goes myself, but quickly came to the conclusion that it's probably better if I stick to modeling the inspection itself rather than try to do it, there is definitely an element of 'skill' involved.

I have used simple systems to look for cracks and inclusions in casting especially after welding.
I have seen more complex systems used to look for stress points in plastics by detecting material density changes.

You can tell exactly how deep an inclusion is in a casting and then machine down to it and weld in a fill.

As to fun, it really depends on what your idea of fun is. It doesn't quite come up to a sunny day at Bath RFC with four pints of beer and shouting abuse at the ref, but is probably better than a root canal. Some may think differently though.

snowJT said:
Has anybody here used ultra sonic testings for internal flaws in metals in the industry? If so what purposes did you use it for? Only things I can think of someone using it would be to check inside pipes without turning off the flow...?
UT is a form of non-destructive testing. With the use of UT inspection in manufacturing, the objective is usually to verify that a production piece has a no internal flaw larger than a certain specified size.

UT can be used as part of 'in-service inspection' to monitor the development of flaws during operation or assure that any flaw does not exceed a critical size. Advanced UT can actually image a flaw, and in medical systems, image internal organs.

Here is a reasonably good tutorial on UT - http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResources/CommunityCollege/Ultrasonics/cc_ut_index.htm

does it also tell you how far from the surface it is?
'Time of flight' uses time and 'speed of sound' to determine distance. The size of the flaw determines the reflectance of the UT signal. Detailed imaging can be done with sophisticated electronics and signal processing.

Last edited:
very handy site astronuc, thanks!

1. What is Ultrasonic Testing (UT)?

Ultrasonic Testing is a non-destructive testing method that uses high-frequency sound waves to detect internal flaws or defects in materials. It is commonly used in industrial applications to assess the quality and integrity of components such as welds, pipelines, and castings.

2. How does Ultrasonic Testing work?

In UT, a transducer emits high-frequency sound waves into a material, and the reflected waves are analyzed to detect any changes or disruptions in the material's internal structure. The time taken for the waves to travel through the material and return to the transducer is used to determine the depth and location of any flaws.

3. What are the advantages of Ultrasonic Testing?

UT offers several advantages in industrial applications, including the ability to detect both surface and subsurface defects, high accuracy, and the ability to inspect large areas quickly. It is also a non-destructive method, meaning it does not damage the material being tested.

4. What are the limitations of Ultrasonic Testing?

One limitation of UT is its reliance on a direct line of sight between the transducer and the material being tested. This can make it challenging to inspect complex or irregularly shaped components. Additionally, UT requires skilled technicians to interpret the results accurately.

5. What are some common uses of Ultrasonic Testing in industrial settings?

UT is commonly used in industries such as manufacturing, construction, and aerospace to detect defects in materials, monitor the condition of equipment, and ensure the safety and reliability of components. It is also used for thickness measurements and weld inspections.