Ultrasound and Chemical Repair of DNA: Is There Scientific Evidence?

In summary, there is peer-reviewed research that suggests ultrasound can have an effect on the chemical repair of DNA, specifically in chemotherapy-resistant ovarian cancer cells. However, there are questions about the feasibility of targeted subcellular damage given the wavelength and energy level of ultrasound. More information is needed to fully understand the potential of ultrasound in this context.
TheAlkemist
Is there any SCIENTIFIC evidence of the effect of ultrasound on chemical repair of DNA? As in, is there peer-reviewed research in this?

Thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
This atricle shows that a chemotherapy-resistant ovarian cancer cell line ( because of DNA repair) becomes less resistant on exposure to ultrasound.

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/jws/uog/2009/00000033/00000003/art00017

I couldn't read the whole article, just the abstract, but it doesn't make any sense. Ultrasound (MHz) has wavelengths in the millimeter range- how can targeted subcellular damage occur?

The abstract also did not mention the incident energy level, but I suspect it's much lower than occurs with UV damage.

Thanks for the link Jim. I can't access the full article, but if you can, could you address Andy's question? I'm curious.

Andy Resnick said:
I couldn't read the whole article, just the abstract, but it doesn't make any sense. Ultrasound (MHz) has wavelengths in the millimeter range- how can targeted subcellular damage occur?

The abstract also did not mention the incident energy level, but I suspect it's much lower than occurs with UV damage.
According to the introduction the ultrasound treatment leads to increased intracellular drug levels, I haven't read the study so I can't comment on the validity.

1. What is the connection between ultrasound and DNA repair?

Ultrasound is a type of energy that can be used to manipulate and repair DNA. It has been shown to increase the rate of DNA repair in cells, particularly in cases of UV-induced DNA damage.

2. How does ultrasound repair DNA?

Ultrasound works by creating sound waves that cause vibrations in the cells, which in turn stimulate the enzymes responsible for repairing DNA damage. This process can help to prevent mutations and maintain the integrity of the genetic code.

3. Can ultrasound be used to repair DNA damage in humans?

Research has shown that ultrasound can be effective in repairing DNA damage in human cells. However, more studies are needed to determine the safety and effectiveness of using ultrasound for DNA repair in humans.

4. Are there any potential risks associated with using ultrasound for DNA repair?

While ultrasound has been shown to be relatively safe for medical use, there are potential risks associated with its use for DNA repair. These include potential damage to surrounding tissues and cells, as well as potential interference with normal cellular processes.

5. Can ultrasound be used as a treatment for genetic diseases?

While ultrasound has shown promise in repairing DNA damage, it is not currently used as a treatment for genetic diseases. More research is needed to fully understand its potential uses and limitations in this area.