1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ultrasound reflected from an oncoming bloodstream

1. Dec 12, 2004 #1
    Ultrasound reflected from an oncoming bloodstream that is moving at 31 cm/s is mixed with the original frequency of 1.3 MHz to produce beats. What is the beat frequency? (Velocity of sound in blood = 1540 m/s.)

I know that there are two doppler shifts; one where the source is fixed and the other where the observer is fixed.

So i'm supposed to use the doppler shift equation to solve for this:

f1=f((V + Vo) / (V - Vs))

but I dont know what numbers to plug into which variables.

After I find the frequency of the doppler shifted echo all I have to do is subtract it from the original frequency of 1.3 MHz, right?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2004 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have used the doppler expression where the source and observer are both moving relative to the medium. You also have to keep in mind that there is a reflection so there are two doppler shifts.

Use the moving observer form:
    [tex]f_{blood} = f_{source}(\frac{v_{sound}+ v_{blood}}{v_{sound}})[/tex]

to find the apparent frequency that the blood receives. The blood then acts as a moving source and reflects this back to the observer so used the moving source form:

[tex]f_{observer} = f_{blood}(\frac{v_{sound}}{v_{sound} - v_{blood}})[/tex]

You are correct that the beat frequency is the difference between the original and the reflected sound.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?