1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Um um um

1. Jan 17, 2004 #1
    um um um....

Where can you use protium, tritium and deuterium?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2004 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Protium, you mean hydrogen molecules? Deuterium and tritium are used in nuclear physics. D2O is "heavy water", used as a moderator in some reactors. And Deuterium and Tritium play a big role in fusion, both at the H-bomb level and in the attempts to build fusion power systems.

Tritium is also used to make glow in the dark things. Like wristwatches that can give you a nice little dose.

4. Jan 19, 2004 #3
    Thanks sA. Are these available on the market?

5. Jan 19, 2004 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[?] Just what are you constructing?

6. Jan 20, 2004 #5
    I am very interested in chemistry. I am not constructing something. It seems illegal to ask if they are available on the market. I could always go ask in a chemists shop, but I am asking here first no matter how suspicious I may sound.

7. Jan 20, 2004 #6

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You might be able to buy heavy water at retail, but I'll bet you'd have to have a license to buy Tritium, it's a dangerous commodity- radioactive. Hydrogen, the molecular form of your protium, is available freely as a gas in pressure tanks. It's inflammable.

8. Jan 21, 2004 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, it is not everyday that someone wants to buy unknown chemical substances

9. Jan 21, 2004 #8
    I know, Monique. A little x

10. Jan 21, 2004 #9
    Most chemical supply companies do sell isotopes (gas, liquid, solid) in a variety of contexts. Although I suspect most are used to dealing with academic/industrial/government clients for the most part. :) I've bought isotopes, but it's been for research purposes.

In terms of usage, deuterium is also quite common among people for utilization in spectroscopy, esp. NMR. I believe biochemists have used tritium as a radiolabel for tracking the fate of metabolites in the past, although I am not aware of how common the practice may still be in current research.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?