Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Um um um

1. Jan 17, 2004 #1
    um um um....

Where can you use protium, tritium and deuterium?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2004 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Protium, you mean hydrogen molecules? Deuterium and tritium are used in nuclear physics. D2O is "heavy water", used as a moderator in some reactors. And Deuterium and Tritium play a big role in fusion, both at the H-bomb level and in the attempts to build fusion power systems.

Tritium is also used to make glow in the dark things. Like wristwatches that can give you a nice little dose.

4. Jan 19, 2004 #3
    Thanks sA. Are these available on the market?

5. Jan 19, 2004 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[?] Just what are you constructing?

6. Jan 20, 2004 #5
    I am very interested in chemistry. I am not constructing something. It seems illegal to ask if they are available on the market. I could always go ask in a chemists shop, but I am asking here first no matter how suspicious I may sound.

7. Jan 20, 2004 #6

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You might be able to buy heavy water at retail, but I'll bet you'd have to have a license to buy Tritium, it's a dangerous commodity- radioactive. Hydrogen, the molecular form of your protium, is available freely as a gas in pressure tanks. It's inflammable.

8. Jan 21, 2004 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, it is not everyday that someone wants to buy unknown chemical substances

9. Jan 21, 2004 #8
    I know, Monique. A little x

10. Jan 21, 2004 #9
    Most chemical supply companies do sell isotopes (gas, liquid, solid) in a variety of contexts. Although I suspect most are used to dealing with academic/industrial/government clients for the most part. :) I've bought isotopes, but it's been for research purposes.

In terms of usage, deuterium is also quite common among people for utilization in spectroscopy, esp. NMR. I believe biochemists have used tritium as a radiolabel for tracking the fate of metabolites in the past, although I am not aware of how common the practice may still be in current research.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?