1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools UMass Physics vs CWRU Astronomy

1. Mar 11, 2016 #1
    I have offers from UMass Amherst Physics and Case Western Astronomy for their respective Phd programs. I'm having a tough time deciding between the two. Leaving aside the differences due to astronomy vs physics, what other factors are important to consider while making a decision?

UMass Physics is a relatively bigger department with a large graduate student population while Case Astro has around 3 current grad students.

Also, CWRU is located in Cleveland while UMass in Amherst. What are the pros and cons of living in Cleveland vs Amherst?

What other things might I consider?

Any advice would be welcome!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2016 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I've never been to Amherst, but it appears to be very much a "college town." Cleveland is a gritty former industrial city that has declined a lot during the last 50 years or so, and is slowly reinventing itself. CWRU is near areas that at least in the past have had reputations for crime and urban blight. Of course you can find such conditions in parts of most large American cities, but I suspect Amherst does not suffer from that sort of thing to nearly the same extent, if at all.

I actually have a soft spot for Cleveland because I grew up nearby. But it's definitely not like Boston, or San Francisco, or...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted