Self-Taught: Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality (CSI) Explained

• Thread starter misogynisticfeminist
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between the absolute value and the norm of a vector, as well as the use of symbols |x| and ||x|| interchangeably. It is noted that while |x| is used for the absolute value and ||x|| for the norm, many mathematicians do not distinguish between them symbolically and use them interchangeably. However, it is important to specify the vector space and the norm being used in order to avoid confusion. The conversation also mentions that norms are not well-defined functions for all vector spaces, and that they must satisfy the parallelogram identity. It is suggested that in the case of the Euclidean norm, it is understood to apply to vector spaces of dimension greater than 1
misogynisticfeminist
I'm self taught though, so please bear with any questions i have. One side of the cauchy schwarz innequality (CSI, nice acronym) is

l u.v l

Firstly what's the difference between ll u ll and l u l . I thought the norm was the length.

Also, what does it mean by the length of the dot product of u and v? I thought the dot product was a number itself, and not a tuple or something.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
llull = norm/lenght of the vector u.

|u| = ABSOLUTE VALUE of the scalar u.

[tex]\left| {\vec x \cdot \vec y} \right| \leqslant \left\| {\vec x} \right\|\left\| {\vec y} \right\|[/tex]

As quasar987 said, " | | " is for the absolute value. So as you said correctly, the inner product is a scalar so the inequality states that the absolute value of the inner product of two vectors is always less than (or equal too) the product of the norms of both vectors.

However, many people use |x| and ||x|| interchangably since there is no real difference between them; a 1-d vector is a scalar so the scalar norm and the vector norm are the same here. And most (pure) mathematicians do not distinguish symbolically between vectors and scalars; they let the context make it clear which is meant.

ahh, that cleared the doubts. Thanks alot.

matt grime said:
However, many people use |x| and ||x|| interchangably since there is no real difference between them; a 1-d vector is a scalar so the scalar norm and the vector norm are the same here. And most (pure) mathematicians do not distinguish symbolically between vectors and scalars; they let the context make it clear which is meant.

I do not agree on that. ||.|| is a norm and | . | is the absolute value. norm() applies to vectors, abs() applies to scalars. abs() is a well defined function for real numbers (and the complex analogon), whereas norm() is not. A function is a norm in some sort of vector space iff it satisfies the parallellogram identity. The well-known frobeniusnorm is just an example, just as the 1-norm, 2-norm, maxnorm, sylvesternorm,... In fact, just like inner products on some vector space, you can "invent" a norm (as long as it satisfies the parallellogram identity).

However, if explicitly stated that the vector space is euclidean/unitarian, with standard norm, then I agree with you. But not that mathematicians do not distinguish any difference between them.

But we are talking about vector spaces and the euclidean norm.

In other cases this won't be true: say in the theory of elliptic curves the synmbol | | will often be taken to be the p-adic valuation.

abs() is a well defined function for real numbers (and the complex analogon), whereas norm() is not.

norm() it is too defined for the real numbers... :confused: Or are you asserting that your textbooks define the Euclidean norm specifically to exclude vector spaces of dimension 1 (and of dimension 0)?

Hurkyl said:
norm() it is too defined for the real numbers... :confused: Or are you asserting that your textbooks define the Euclidean norm specifically to exclude vector spaces of dimension 1 (and of dimension 0)?

No, I was just pointing out that you can have all sorts of norms, so it should be stated what vector space we're talking about, and which norm. It was a critique on Matt that mathematicians do make a distinction (unless it's clear what we're talking about, like here).

1. What is the Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality (CSI)?

The Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality (CSI) is a mathematical concept that states the relationship between the inner products of two vectors. It is often used to prove other mathematical theorems and has many applications in various fields such as geometry, physics, and statistics.

2. Why is the CSI important?

The CSI is important because it provides a useful tool for proving other mathematical theorems and has many practical applications. It also helps in understanding the relationship between different mathematical concepts and can lead to new discoveries and insights.

3. How is the CSI derived?

The CSI is derived from the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, which states that the square of the inner product of two vectors is always less than or equal to the product of their norms. By taking the square root of both sides and manipulating the equation, we can arrive at the CSI.

4. What are some real-life applications of the CSI?

The CSI has many real-life applications, such as in computer graphics, where it is used to calculate the angle between two vectors to create smooth shading effects. It is also used in engineering and physics to solve problems involving forces and vectors. In statistics, the CSI is used in regression analysis to measure the correlation between two variables.

5. How can I use the CSI in my own research or studies?

The CSI can be used in various ways in research or studies, depending on your field of study. It can be used to prove other theorems or to solve problems involving vectors or inner products. It can also be used as a starting point for further exploration and discovery in mathematics and other related fields.