Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Un denting carpets

1. Dec 27, 2007 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I decided to move the furniture around, the problems is the legs have left dents in the carpet, is there any way to un dent carpets?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2007 #2

Danger

Gold Member

You might just try giving it a good soaking, or even a whole shampoo treatment. The fibres should return to their original shape on their own after a while anyhow, but that might speed it up. To some extent, it will depend upon how long the furniture was there and how heavy it is.

4. Dec 27, 2007 #3

turbo

Gold Member

5. Dec 27, 2007 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How to remove dents from a carpet?

The trivial solution: Rip out the carpet and throw it away.

The non-trivial solution: Rip out the dented portions and throw them away.

6. Dec 27, 2007 #5
    Cut out a square of the dented carpet. Then flip it over, and use the carpet on the other side. Thanks infinite solutions!

7. Dec 27, 2007 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Gokul, you sound like my scatter-brained aunt. She once had a hole in one of her dresses and figured that the best way to get rid of it was to cut it out with scissors. She got about half-way through the process before the 'oh ****' moment hit her. :biggrin:

8. Dec 27, 2007 #7
    Maybe my carpet is different, but the dents always come out on their own...

9. Dec 27, 2007 #8

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Drop a cople of ice cubes on the spot and wait until they melt and dry then run the vacuum over the area. It usually takes a couple of applications to unstick the pad and fibers.

10. Dec 27, 2007 #9
    What the hell kind of response is that? Wolram, just use like a stiff brush and a vacuum and it should work, just brush and vacuum against the "grain" of the carpet.

11. Dec 27, 2007 #10
    haha, :rofl:. Yes thank goodness rugs are double sided. Gotta love infinite solutions.a

I think it's a perfectly respectable response, after all, holes in your carpet would add a whole new creative factor to your interior decoration.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  12. Dec 28, 2007 #11

wolram

Gold Member

Ok, i worked on it for ages brushing and vacuuming and damping, the dents are coming out slowly.

13. Dec 28, 2007 #12

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Wolram, just place furniture over the dents.

14. Dec 28, 2007 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

I think the easiest solution is to throw runners over those spots, which encourages people to follow that path when walking on the carpet. Before long, all the surrounding carpet will be equally compressed and the dents will blend right in.

I usually just give the fibers a fluff up with my fingers to get them sticking back up as much as possible, and then let time handle the rest.

15. Dec 28, 2007 #14
    I leave them as a reminder of how things 'were' and that something 'new' has been done---they do seem to go away on their own after about 2 weeks.

16. Dec 28, 2007 #15

wolram

Gold Member

I put it back as it was, my back is killing me from all that rubbing, i was going to turn the carpet around but i found some coal burns under the rug, i forgot why i bought the rug,
    may be i will buy another to cover up the clean looking patches under the sofa.

17. Dec 28, 2007 #16

Mk

How many decades have your furniture been there? I always just wait a few days and it's fine.

18. Dec 28, 2007 #17

wolram

Gold Member

A few decades is just enough to develop patina.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?