Calculating Gas Volume with Pressure: Non-Ideal Gas Equation for Mixed Gases

• Thread starter FishBlackpool
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a formula to calculate the change in volume of a gas when pressure is added. The Ideal Gas Equation is suggested, but it may not work for mixed gases like air. Alternative equations, such as the van der Waals gas law and the Virial expansion, are recommended. It is also noted that most equations of state may not be accurate near phase change points. The CRC handbook is mentioned as a possible resource for finding the necessary coefficients.
FishBlackpool
Hi

I am trying to find a formula which can calculate the volume that gas X will decrease by when pressure Y is added to it. Now I have already been pointed to the Ideal Gas Equation, however I read that this is best suited when looking at a single volume of a monatomic gas eg. Argon.

However I wish to experiment (play about) after doing my calculations and instead of messing about with a monatomic gas I would much rather use air so my question is...

Does anyone know a formula I can use to calculate the change in volume of a mixed gas (air) with varying pressure.

PS. I guess a list of pressure volume ratios for air which I could extrapolate from would also be usefull if anyone has them?...but I'd rather do the calculations myself.

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Well, the next-simplest after the ideal gas law is the van der Waals gas law (which has a pair of parameters). There are some other theoretical models, but I'd suggest a Virial expansion. (I believe that's the mostly used in practice.) It depends really on what temperature/pressure range you're interested in as well.

Note that most equations of state (including the vdw) can get pretty bad results at or near a phase change point.

Hmm, annoyingly the CRC handbook I've got only lists vdW coefficients, and not for air. Shouldn't be hard to find though.

See also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equation_of_state

for your question! The Ideal Gas Equation is indeed best suited for calculating the volume of a single monatomic gas, as it assumes that the gas particles do not interact with each other. However, for a mixed gas like air, the particles do interact and the Ideal Gas Equation may not give accurate results.

In this case, you can use the Non-Ideal Gas Equation, also known as the Van der Waals equation, which takes into account the interactions between gas particles. It is given by:

(P + an^2/V^2)(V - nb) = nRT

where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, T is the temperature, and a and b are constants specific to the gas.

You can also use the Combined Gas Law, which relates the initial and final volumes of a gas at different pressures and temperatures:

(P1V1)/T1 = (P2V2)/T2

where P1 and P2 are the initial and final pressures, V1 and V2 are the initial and final volumes, and T1 and T2 are the initial and final temperatures.

As for pressure-volume ratios for air, these can be found in tables or calculated using the above equations. However, it is always best to calculate them yourself to ensure accuracy for your specific experiment.

I hope this helps and good luck with your experiment!

What is the Un-ideal Gas Equation?

The Un-ideal Gas Equation is a mathematical equation used to describe the behavior of gases under non-ideal conditions, such as high pressures or low temperatures. It takes into account factors such as intermolecular forces and molecular volume, which are neglected in the Ideal Gas Law.

How is the Un-ideal Gas Equation different from the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law assumes that gases behave ideally, meaning they have no intermolecular forces and occupy no volume. The Un-ideal Gas Equation takes into account the real-world behavior of gases, including the effects of intermolecular forces and molecular volume.

When is the Un-ideal Gas Equation used?

The Un-ideal Gas Equation is used to describe the behavior of gases under non-ideal conditions, such as in high pressure or low temperature environments. It is also used in situations where the Ideal Gas Law does not accurately predict the behavior of a gas.

What are the limitations of the Un-ideal Gas Equation?

The Un-ideal Gas Equation is a more complex and accurate equation than the Ideal Gas Law, but it still has limitations. It does not take into account the effects of quantum mechanics, and it may not accurately predict the behavior of gases at extremely high or low temperatures.

How is the Un-ideal Gas Equation derived?

The Un-ideal Gas Equation is derived from the Ideal Gas Law by incorporating additional factors such as intermolecular forces and molecular volume. It can also be derived from statistical mechanics principles, which take into account the behavior of individual molecules in a gas.