1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unable to concentrate

1. Dec 28, 2004 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I'm still sitting in my office, everyone else has been gone for hours. I don't think I've managed to get 30 minutes of actuall work accomplished all day. :frown:

I know I am mentally tired, I think I woke up 30 times last night. I "must" get these network designs out to my clients if I want any chance of winning the bids. I'm just sitting here staring at this stuff and nothing's clicking.

I know if I take this stuff home to work on it I will just end up going to sleep. Anyone have any nifty ideas on how to become alert? Caffeine has no affect on me, I can drink a couple of cups of coffee and fall asleep right away.

Yeah, I'm procrastinating even more by posting this. :blushing:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2004 #2
    Perhaps you are physically exhausted (or just me projecting, lol) in which case it is time for a good slumber session (goofing on computer does not count as sleep). It is difficult to concentrate when you’re tired. If it’s something else on your mind then I cannot help you because I’ve always had this effect on the ladies.

4. Dec 28, 2004 #3

Evo

You know I can't concentrate when you are around. :!!)

I am mentally and physically drained. :frown: Unfortunately the work keeps piling up.

I could crawl under my desk and take a nap (like George on the old Seinfeld show). Unfortunately the cleaning people and security will both be coming along in a bit.

Maybe I should just give up and go home.

5. Dec 28, 2004 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"Ladies and gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants [support hose] and slide on the ice". :biggrin:

6. Dec 28, 2004 #5

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Do what everyone else does: give the work to someone under you. Unless, of course, you are at the bottom of the totem pole. Interns are particulary suited for the job

7. Dec 28, 2004 #6
    Having some wild time in bed will cure you, guaranteed.

8. Dec 28, 2004 #7
    I've been staying up too late a lot lately as well. I drove home from work yesterday and I don't remember 3/4 of the drive. A couple of times I felt myself nod off and then I'd jerk awake and make sure I was still on the road. It would scare me enough to keep me awake for about 2 minutes, then I'd start drifting off again. Thankfully I got about 7 hours sleep last night, and it looks like rain tomorrow so I can sleep in. Just go home Evo. get a good nights sleep and work twice as hard tomorrow.

9. Dec 28, 2004 #8

Evo

Unfortunately I need to do this type of design myself, that's what I do, after I design it I can hand it off to my support people to get pricing, provisioning, etc...

10. Dec 28, 2004 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Go get take-out food and bring it back to the office. I have the same problem if I'm that tired and take work home, I just fall asleep and don't do it anyway, but if I stay at the office and take a dinner break there, it gets me revitalized enough to keep going for a few more hours. Sometimes a refreshing cold drink works better than coffee. Just the walk to the car and back will help get you woken up a bit too.

11. Dec 28, 2004 #10

Evo

That's not likely to happen, I live with cats and a dog. They're pretty sound sleepers, not much for partying.

12. Dec 28, 2004 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tumor didn't suggest that anyone else would be present.

13. Dec 28, 2004 #12

Evo

Trib, that's dangerous!

That's what I think every night. :grumpy:

Moonbear I just ate and now my eyes are snapping shut. I guess it's time to give up and go home. Feed the animals, crawl into bed with my laptop and end up staying up all night on PF. :blushing:

14. Dec 28, 2004 #13

Evo

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

15. Dec 28, 2004 #14
    Danger is my middle name.

16. Dec 28, 2004 #15

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Music helps motivate and energize me.

17. Dec 28, 2004 #16
    With your laptop? CALL ME ! I will be there in no time. :biggrin:

18. Dec 28, 2004 #17

Evo

So, you want my laptop!!!! :devil:

19. Dec 28, 2004 #18

Both :wink:

20. Dec 28, 2004 #19

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I would have to agree with Kerrie that music is a good motivator. Make sure the music has a good beat and not too mellow. I find that some good heavy metal gives me that extra boost I need to finish a task. Whatever you do, don't get too motivated and jump on your chair trying to sing one of those songs, as you might fall and hurt yourself.

21. Dec 28, 2004 #20
    Wha?.. How many middle names do you have!??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?