Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unable to concentrate

1. Dec 28, 2004 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I'm still sitting in my office, everyone else has been gone for hours. I don't think I've managed to get 30 minutes of actuall work accomplished all day. :frown:

I know I am mentally tired, I think I woke up 30 times last night. I "must" get these network designs out to my clients if I want any chance of winning the bids. I'm just sitting here staring at this stuff and nothing's clicking.

I know if I take this stuff home to work on it I will just end up going to sleep. Anyone have any nifty ideas on how to become alert? Caffeine has no affect on me, I can drink a couple of cups of coffee and fall asleep right away.

Yeah, I'm procrastinating even more by posting this. :blushing:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2004 #2
    Perhaps you are physically exhausted (or just me projecting, lol) in which case it is time for a good slumber session (goofing on computer does not count as sleep). It is difficult to concentrate when you’re tired. If it’s something else on your mind then I cannot help you because I’ve always had this effect on the ladies.

4. Dec 28, 2004 #3

Evo

You know I can't concentrate when you are around. :!!)

I am mentally and physically drained. :frown: Unfortunately the work keeps piling up.

I could crawl under my desk and take a nap (like George on the old Seinfeld show). Unfortunately the cleaning people and security will both be coming along in a bit.

Maybe I should just give up and go home.

5. Dec 28, 2004 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"Ladies and gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants [support hose] and slide on the ice". :biggrin:

6. Dec 28, 2004 #5

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Do what everyone else does: give the work to someone under you. Unless, of course, you are at the bottom of the totem pole. Interns are particulary suited for the job

7. Dec 28, 2004 #6
    Having some wild time in bed will cure you, guaranteed.

8. Dec 28, 2004 #7
    I've been staying up too late a lot lately as well. I drove home from work yesterday and I don't remember 3/4 of the drive. A couple of times I felt myself nod off and then I'd jerk awake and make sure I was still on the road. It would scare me enough to keep me awake for about 2 minutes, then I'd start drifting off again. Thankfully I got about 7 hours sleep last night, and it looks like rain tomorrow so I can sleep in. Just go home Evo. get a good nights sleep and work twice as hard tomorrow.

9. Dec 28, 2004 #8

Evo

Unfortunately I need to do this type of design myself, that's what I do, after I design it I can hand it off to my support people to get pricing, provisioning, etc...

10. Dec 28, 2004 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Go get take-out food and bring it back to the office. I have the same problem if I'm that tired and take work home, I just fall asleep and don't do it anyway, but if I stay at the office and take a dinner break there, it gets me revitalized enough to keep going for a few more hours. Sometimes a refreshing cold drink works better than coffee. Just the walk to the car and back will help get you woken up a bit too.

11. Dec 28, 2004 #10

Evo

That's not likely to happen, I live with cats and a dog. They're pretty sound sleepers, not much for partying.

12. Dec 28, 2004 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tumor didn't suggest that anyone else would be present.

13. Dec 28, 2004 #12

Evo

Trib, that's dangerous!

That's what I think every night. :grumpy:

Moonbear I just ate and now my eyes are snapping shut. I guess it's time to give up and go home. Feed the animals, crawl into bed with my laptop and end up staying up all night on PF. :blushing:

14. Dec 28, 2004 #13

Evo

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

15. Dec 28, 2004 #14
    Danger is my middle name.

16. Dec 28, 2004 #15

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Music helps motivate and energize me.

17. Dec 28, 2004 #16
    With your laptop? CALL ME ! I will be there in no time. :biggrin:

18. Dec 28, 2004 #17

Evo

So, you want my laptop!!!! :devil:

19. Dec 28, 2004 #18

Both :wink:

20. Dec 28, 2004 #19

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I would have to agree with Kerrie that music is a good motivator. Make sure the music has a good beat and not too mellow. I find that some good heavy metal gives me that extra boost I need to finish a task. Whatever you do, don't get too motivated and jump on your chair trying to sing one of those songs, as you might fall and hurt yourself.

21. Dec 28, 2004 #20
    Wha?.. How many middle names do you have!??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?