Mastering Integrals: Tips for Solving Tricky Equations | Integral Homework Help

In summary, the student was trying to find the integral of a function y=erf(x), but ran into difficulty because of the boundary condition of the x-axis. After consulting a reference, the student found that the error function erf(y) can be used to simplify the integration. The student used the error function to evaluate the integral and found that the limits of integration should be set to the original function's limits (x=-c/b and y=-c/b).
Eats Dirt

Homework Statement

I have an integral in the form of
[/B]
[tex]
\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-(\frac{x-c}{b})^2}dx
[/tex]

and I can't seem to figure it out.

I feel like I need a special function (gamma?)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ooops I think I realized I need to do a change of variables...

Last edited:
The LaTeX for infinity is \infty, which produces [itex]\infty[/itex].

To your problem: the square of that integral is [tex]\int_0^\infty \int_0^\infty e^{-(\frac{x-c}b)^2 - (\frac{y-c}b)^2}\,dx\,dy[/tex] and the substitution [tex]
x - c = r \cos \theta \\
y - c = r \sin \theta[/tex] is called for.

Last edited:
Likes Eats Dirt
would this work?use change of variables

[tex]

y=(\frac{x-c}{b})\\
dy=\frac{dx}{b}\\

substitute\\\\

\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-ay^2}dy = \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{pi}{a}}
[/tex]

oops I did not make up for the change of variables in the lower limit of the integral

Last edited:
Almost. You need to fix the limits of integration.

[tex]

\int_{-c/b}^{\infty}e^{-ay^2}dy =! \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{pi}{a}}

[/tex]

Now the Gaussian doesn't work in that form so I think I need the indefinite form

4d04a2f1c089b845ff25989916a5fbfc.png

Last edited:
Eats Dirt said:
[tex]

\int_{-c/b}^{\infty}e^{-ay^2}dy =! \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{pi}{a}}

[/tex]

Now the Gaussian doesn't work in that form so I think I need the indefinite form

4d04a2f1c089b845ff25989916a5fbfc.png

and I just evaluate this in my new limits?

You tell us.

You could also just use some brute force and integration by parts:
let ##\alpha = \frac{x-c}{b}##
You will have ## \int_{\frac{-c}{b}}^\infty e^{-\alpha^2} d\alpha ##
by parts, ##u = e^{-\alpha^2}, \, du = -2\alpha u d\alpha ##
## v = \alpha, \, dv = d\alpha ##
## \int_{\frac{-c}{b}}^\infty e^{-\alpha^2}d\alpha = \left. uv \right|_{\frac{-c}{b}}^\infty + 2 \int_{\frac{-c}{b}}^\infty \alpha^2 e^{-\alpha^2} d\alpha ##
##\int_{\frac{-c}{b}}^\infty \alpha^2 e^{-\alpha^2} d\alpha ## can again be evaluated by parts...
substituting ##\beta = \alpha^2 ## gives ##-\int_{\frac{-c^2}{b^2}}^{-\infty} \beta e^{\beta} d\beta ##
Let ## u = \beta, \, du = d\beta ## and ## v=e^\beta, \, dv = e^\beta d\beta ## .
One more time, and keep track of your signs, do some algebra, and before you know it... Solved.
However, I think the suggesions above may prove to be more elegant.

Ray Vickson said:
You tell us.

Ok, now we use the error function,
[tex]
erf(y)=\frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_{0}^{y} e^-t^2 dt
[/tex]

After I evaluate the error function I should put in the proper integration limits (from the original function) of y? But doesn't this just lead us in circles now? to evaluate this function I need another Gaussian function in a form that does not run from 0 to infinity.

Eats Dirt said:
Ok, now we use the error function,
[tex]
erf(y)=\frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_{0}^{y} e^-t^2 dt
[/tex]

After I evaluate the error function I should put in the proper integration limits (from the original function) of y? But doesn't this just lead us in circles now? to evaluate this function I need another Gaussian function in a form that does not run from 0 to infinity.

No, you are not running in circles. You are expressing an integral (the one you started with) in terms of a function "erf" (or equivalent). The latter is not an elementary function, but it is well-studied and has a standard definition.

The only real difference between a function like "erf" and functions like "sin", "cos", "exp" "log", etc, is that you saw these last ones early in your education and so you are more familiar with them and more practiced in their use. Also, you can probably find them on just about any decent hand-held calculator, while "erf" shows up later in your studies and needs a fancier calculator to implement it.

pasmith said:
The LaTeX for infinity is \infty, which produces [itex]\infty[/itex].

To your problem: the square of that integral is [tex]\int_0^\infty \int_0^\infty e^{-(\frac{x-c}b)^2 - (\frac{y-c}b)^2}\,dx\,dy[/tex] and the substitution [tex]
x - c = r \cos \theta \\
y - c = r \sin \theta[/tex] is called for.

Actually the [itex]\theta[/itex] intergral here is not straightforward due to the nature of the boundary, so using the error function is easier.

##\int_{-c/b}^\infty e^{-t^2} dt ## has the form of the complimentary error function ##1-erf(x)##, as described on the Wikipedia page linked above.
You can also read more at http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=erfc(x) .
If you would prefer the expansion in terms of the given values without functional dependence on the erf, you can go through the somewhat messy integration I outlined above.

thank you all, I ended up getting the correct solution.

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that calculates the total area under a curve using calculus. It is used to find the exact value of a function at a particular point or to find the area between a function and the x-axis.

Why am I having trouble figuring out an integral?

Integrals can be challenging to solve because they require a deep understanding of calculus principles and techniques. They often involve complex mathematical operations, and a small mistake can lead to an incorrect result. It is essential to have a strong foundation in calculus and to practice regularly to become proficient in solving integrals.

What are some common techniques for solving integrals?

Some common techniques for solving integrals include substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. Each technique has its advantages and is useful for solving different types of integrals. It is essential to understand these techniques and when to use them to solve integrals effectively.

Can I use technology to help me solve integrals?

Yes, there are several tools and software programs available that can help you solve integrals. These include graphing calculators, online integral calculators, and computer algebra systems. However, it is essential to understand the concepts behind the integral and not rely solely on technology to solve it.

Are there any tips for improving my ability to solve integrals?

Yes, some tips can help you improve your ability to solve integrals. These include practicing regularly, understanding the fundamental concepts and techniques, breaking the integral into smaller, manageable parts, and checking your work for errors. Seeking help from a tutor or teacher can also be beneficial in improving your integral-solving skills.