1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unable to Graduate

1. Nov 23, 2015 #1

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Hi PF!

Please help me! I am completing a Master's of Science in Mechanical Engineering and finish this term. I successfully defended my thesis and am now waiting to graduate. I was informed some of my credits are redundant, and hence won't count towards graduation.

I need 45 credits to graduate. 9, and only 9, of them must be thesis (503). I took 9 thesis and 3 others titled "research" (501). The graduate bulletin states 17 credits can be (501) and (503) with a few other's too. Now I am informed the research credits are the same as thesis and count as 12 thesis (503) credits, which exceeds 9.

Earlier this term I met with the graduate adviser several times and she told me I was okay to graduate (I am not talking about my research adviser; our department has one individual who monitors graduate issues, including graduation). She took a job at a different university about a month ago, although I was informed we still have contact with her. But I didn't just take her word for it; I also checked the graduate school bulletin and it no where specifies that these credits I took (501) would be redundant. I also checked my online student account and degree requirements, and it also does not say these credits are redundant.

I went to our department and they are trying to get the graduate school to accept all my credits. The department told me there is a chance I won't be able to graduate. What should I do to be able to graduate this term (after all I've earned it).

Thanks for your time!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2015 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Try to find out about any other possible avenues to appeal the decision to the graduate school, if it comes to that.

4. Nov 24, 2015 #3

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Let's hope it does't, but if so I was considering talking with the dean. Do you think this is a good idea or not?

5. Nov 25, 2015 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

It's hard for me to say, because I have no idea what the "bureaucratic climate" is like at your school.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook