1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unable to interpret E-k diagrams (still)

1. Jul 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Look at the first figure here, and pretend that the conduction bands on the left and right don't exist. As far as I know, the energy of a free electron is directly proportional to the square of its wavenumber. Yet, it's possible for there to take place a direct absorption process between the highest point of the valence band and the lowest point of the conduction band (the band right above the valence band). Here's what I have struggled with for hours to understand: If the electron after the absorption still has a wavenumber that equals zero (the diagram indicates that the lowest point of the conduction band is where k=0), how can its energy not still be zero? I'm sure there's some fundamental misunderstanding on my part here, but I really can't see what it is. Help!
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?