What could be causing Youtube videos to not play on a Dell Windows 10 machine?

In summary, the speaker has a Dell Windows 10 machine and is experiencing issues with watching YouTube videos on the Edge browser. They suspect it may be due to a need to update a driver or switch browsers. Another person suggests trying Chrome or Mozilla, and clearing cache and cookies for YouTube. The speaker also mentions seeing the same error on their iPad and TV, and believes it may be due to a slow or intermittent internet connection rather than the browser. They plan to try all suggestions in order of complexity.
sandy stone
TL;DR Summary
What should I update?
I have a Dell Windows 10 machine new in January. Lately when trying to watch any YouTube video on the Edge browser I get the (particularly unhelpful) message "An error occurred. Please try again later." with a video ID number. I'm sure my internet connection is fast enough - I can watch videos on my Android tablet via the household wifi. I assume I need to update a driver, or maybe switch browsers (I have this suspicion in the back of my mind that Google is trying to force me to use Chrome), but I'm not even sure which driver is responsible for displaying the videos. Any ideas?

Computer science news on Phys.org
sandy stone said:
I have this suspicion in the back of my mind that Google is trying to force me to use Chrome
Try Mozilla if you think so. But Chrome is better than Mozilla (in my opinion), and of course, both are far better than MS Edge (or IE).

Also try clearing all cache and cookies for Youtube.

sandy stone said:
"An error occurred. Please try again later." with a video ID number.
I've seen that error, both on my iPad and on my TV. I think tt is caused by a slow or intermittent Internet connection. I don't think it depends on the browser.

Thanks, I'll try all suggestions in order of complexity.

1. Why am I unable to play Youtube videos on my device?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to a poor internet connection, outdated browser or application, or a problem with your device's hardware or software.

2. How can I fix the problem of being unable to play Youtube videos?

First, try refreshing the webpage or restarting the application. If that doesn't work, make sure your internet connection is strong and your browser or application is updated to the latest version. If the issue persists, try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, or restarting your device. You can also try using a different browser or device to see if the problem is specific to one platform.

3. Is the problem with playing Youtube videos caused by Youtube or my device?

This can be difficult to determine without further troubleshooting. If other websites and applications are working fine on your device, then the issue is likely with Youtube. However, if you are unable to play videos on other platforms as well, then the problem may be with your device or internet connection.

4. Why am I able to play some Youtube videos but not others?

This could be due to various reasons such as the video being restricted in your country, the video being removed by the uploader, or a problem with the video itself. If you are able to play other videos on Youtube but not a specific one, then the issue is likely with that particular video.

5. Can I prevent this issue from happening in the future?

To prevent this issue, make sure your device and applications are regularly updated, and your internet connection is strong and stable. Also, avoid using multiple tabs or applications while streaming videos, as this can slow down your device and cause playback issues. If the problem persists, you can contact Youtube's support team for further assistance.