How to Use the First Identity to Prove the Last Step?

• Thread starter Manasan3010
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about proving the value of the tangent of an angle, which is unknown, by using the tangent of twice the angle and making a link between the two. The exercise is solved by using the half-angle formula and starting with the known values of sine and cosine of the angle. It is also mentioned that only the first half-angle formula was taught, but it is possible to derive the answer using it.
Manasan3010
Homework Statement
Prove, ##tan(\frac{\pi}{12})=2-\sqrt{3}##
Relevant Equations
-
1565008085039.png

I am stuck at the last step.How to prove the last? Any Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
How to prove the last?
No idea.
Any Help?
Notice that ##2{\pi\over 12 } = {\pi\over6}## and for that one you know the value of the tangent
##1\over\sqrt 3## :smile:

Last edited:
BvU said:
No idea.
Notice that 2π12=π62π12=π6 and for that one you know the value of the tangent
1/2 :smile:
Where are you getting 2*pi/12 from? in which line are you putting it in?

Will my answer be wrong If I simply substitute and simplify the values in the first step itself(Using trigonometry Table). Will my warks get deduct?

? You have nothing to substitute

BvU said:
? You have nothing to substitute
Where are you getting 2*pi/12 from? in which line are you putting it in?

I'm not 'getting' it from anywhere. The exercise asks for a tangent of an angle that I don't know the value of the tangent for. But I realize I do know the tangent of twice that angle and I try to make a link between the two ...

Looking at the original post: what is the grey stuff ? Some template you are forced to use ?

Note: I had to edit the spoiler in post #2 ( o:) )

BvU said:
I try to make a link between the two ...
How/Where are you making the link?
BTW the template is Wolfram Mathematica Notebook Template

If you don't know how to make the link between the tangent of an angle and the tangent of the half angle, you cannot reasonably be presented with this exercise, so I suppose you do know...

You don't just start writing an equation arbitrarily. What reason did you have to immediately write "[itex]tan(\theta)= \frac{sin(\theta)}{cos(\theta)}[/itex]"? It's true, of course, but so are many other equations. Writing [itex]tan(\pi/12)= \frac{sin(\pi/12)}{cos(\pi/12)}[/itex] doesn't help because we don't, immediately, know [itex]sin(\pi/12)[/itex] or [itex]cos(\pi/12)[/itex]!

Instead, you should notice that [itex]\frac{\pi}{12}= \frac{1}{2}\frac{\pi}{ 6}[/itex]. We know that [itex]sin(\pi/6)= \frac{1}{2}[/itex] and [itex]cos(\pi/6)= \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex] and we have half-angle formulas.

Think about those things before you start writing equations!

Thank I've finally found the identity and solved. They didn't teach me the second or third one. They only taught me the first one. Can i derive the answer using the first Identity?
1565017446763.png

Manasan3010 said:
Thank I've finally found the identity and solved. They didn't teach me the second or third one. They only taught me the first one. Can i derive the answer using the first Identity?
View attachment 247659
Yes, you can use the first identity. This is probably what @BvU was thinking of when he suggested working with ##\frac \pi 6##.

Since both ##\frac \pi 6## and ##\frac \pi {12}## are in the first quadrant, their tangents are positive, so you should use the pos. square root in the formula.

1. Why is it important to be able to prove the last step in a scientific experiment?

Being able to prove the last step in a scientific experiment is crucial because it ensures the validity and accuracy of the results. Without being able to prove the last step, the entire experiment may be called into question and the results may not be considered reliable.

2. What are some potential reasons for being unable to prove the last step in an experiment?

Some potential reasons for being unable to prove the last step in an experiment could include errors in the experimental design, faulty equipment, or unexpected variables that were not accounted for.

3. How can one address the issue of being unable to prove the last step in an experiment?

If one is unable to prove the last step in an experiment, it is important to carefully analyze the experimental process and identify any potential errors or variables that may have affected the results. It may also be helpful to repeat the experiment multiple times to ensure consistent results.

4. Can an experiment still be valid if the last step cannot be proven?

In some cases, an experiment may still be considered valid even if the last step cannot be proven. This may depend on the significance of the last step and the overall results of the experiment. However, it is generally preferred to be able to prove all steps in a scientific experiment to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the results.

5. What can be done to prevent the issue of being unable to prove the last step in future experiments?

To prevent the issue of being unable to prove the last step in future experiments, it is important to carefully plan and design the experiment, account for potential variables, and use reliable equipment. It may also be helpful to consult with other scientists or experts in the field to review the experimental process and identify any potential errors or areas for improvement.