Is there a solution to the inability to view attachments on this website?

• Thread starter Reshma
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around one user, Reshma, encountering a problem with viewing attachments on the website. Others did not experience the same issue and suggested checking the thread display options and clearing the cache. Reshma also considered using a different browser and reaching out to the admins for help. The conversation also briefly mentioned a separate issue with quote tags.
Reshma
Hi All,
I am logging in after many days and I see a few changes have taken place here. The problem I encountered today is that I am unable to view any of the thumbnail attachments. Even the preview doesn't show up. Is it just me..or are others having the same problem?

Thanks,
Reshma

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not having any problems with this. Could you provide a link to the thread in question?

cristo said:
I'm not having any problems with this. Could you provide a link to the thread in question?

I am subscribed to the member photo thread.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=7262&page=162
When I logged in today, there were new posts in it as well as some other threads I am subscribed to. I was unable to see any of the attachments posted there even though they have been approved.

In fact, I cannot view my own picture that I had attached a few months ago here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1399965#post1399965
What is the reason for it?

Hmm. Fine for me too. Seems its just you at the minute Reshma. I can't think of an explanation.

Kurdt said:
Hmm. Fine for me too. Seems its just you at the minute Reshma. I can't think of an explanation.
I will show you 2 screenshots which will clearly indicate my problem:
This one is from member photo thread:
CaptureWiz003.jpg

This one is from homework help, Introductory physics:https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=220494
CaptureWiz004.jpg

I initially thought there was a problem viewing images posted by other users (probably due to a broken link), but it seems I can't view any attached images.

Last edited:
Were you logged in when you tried to view the attachments?

Check My PF (top right corner) > Edit options, then in the box labelled 'Thread Display Options' about half way down the page make sure the box labelled show images is checked. If that's not the problem then you'll have to wait for Greg or chroot to see this.

George Jones said:
Were you logged in when you tried to view the attachments?
I took the screenshots after logging in.
Kurdt said:
Check My PF (top right corner) > Edit options, then in the box labelled 'Thread Display Options' about half way down the page make sure the box labelled show images is checked. If that's not the problem then you'll have to wait for Greg or chroot to see this.
All the visible post elements under thread display options are checked. So that can't be a problem. Maybe I should check the site with a different browser..

Help!

The quote tags have gone crazy now!
CaptureWiz005.jpg

I see some broken image on the top left hand corner. I don't know what's happening...I normally use Firefox, I logged in using IE but I get the same problem. Someone please suggest something.

Could try clearing your cache. I don't know if it will work but got to be worth a try. If that doesn't work you could try PM'ing one of the admins who are a lot more computer savvy to get more attention.

Thanks, Kurdt! :smile: The quote tag problem has been solved but the attachment problem hasn't. I will contact one of the admins.

What causes the error message "Unable to view attachments"?

This error message can be caused by a variety of factors, including internet connectivity issues, outdated software or browser, corrupt files, or insufficient storage space.

How can I fix the "Unable to view attachments" error?

To fix this error, first check your internet connection and make sure it is stable. Next, try updating your software or browser to the latest version. If the issue persists, try downloading the attachment again or clearing your browser's cache.

Why can I view some attachments but not others?

This could be due to compatibility issues with your device or software. Some attachments may require specific software or plugins to view them, so make sure you have the necessary tools installed.

Can I recover attachments that I am unable to view?

In some cases, you may be able to recover the attachment by using a file recovery software or contacting the sender for a new copy. However, if the attachment is corrupted or incompatible, it may not be possible to view it.

How can I prevent the "Unable to view attachments" error in the future?

To avoid this error, make sure to regularly update your software and clear your browser's cache. Also, be cautious when downloading attachments from unknown sources and always have sufficient storage space on your device.