Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complaint Unacceptable term

1. Jan 14, 2016 #1
    When it occurs, any fellow should be advised not to refer to new members as "noobs" or "noobies" because of the offense that could be taken. Noob is ( or seems like ) a portmanteau of "new boob" and is derogatory and insulting enough to make a new member feel he is being attacked or demeaned. I don't think PF should tolerate this.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2016 #2
    Is this a joke? Noob is an alternate spelling of newb, as in, a new person. It's not exactly a compliment, but I'd hardly consider it derogatory.

4. Jan 14, 2016 #3
    In the year or so I've been following this site I have never seen anyone referred to as a "noob".

5. Jan 14, 2016 #4
    It is slang and it sounds demeaning. I would be offended.

6. Jan 14, 2016 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Fair enough. Link to a thread where that term is used.

7. Jan 14, 2016 #6
    Haha, if you search "noob" a lot of the results are self-referential.

8. Jan 14, 2016 #7
  9. Jan 14, 2016 #8
    I'd have to pull out my calculator to determine how far of a stretch you need to make to interpret phinds's comment as offensive.

10. Jan 14, 2016 #9

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You are mistaken. As already mentioned, "noob" (or "newb") is just short for "newbie." It is NOT a portmanteau word made up of "new" and "boob."

I don't have an exact count, but I'd be willing to bet that 98% of the usage on this site is new members describing themselves.

We already have a rule about hostile language that is vigorously enforced. I see no reason for us to outlaw the use of "noob" just on its own.

11. Jan 14, 2016 #10

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

well a high % if the time it is the actual OP that is referring to themselves as a noob and NOT the responders
    and I would bet that the majority of the times that the responder has said such, it's only because the OP as already referred himself to that anyway

Dave

12. Jan 14, 2016 #11
    OK. I stand corrected. Let's rest the issue. People call themselves "nerds" but it's not cool to call others that. Slang that ends with "B" is usually not good. I'm old and not privy to the new generation lingo.

13. Jan 14, 2016 #12
    This sounds remarkably arbitrary.

14. Jan 14, 2016 #13

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I most certainly did NOT. Pay attention to what is said. I said "noobie", which is just short for newcomer and could hardly be misconstrued to have any connotation of "boob". Every forum I've ever been on used the term for newcomer, that and "newbie"

15. Jan 14, 2016 #14

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I had a girlfriend who referred to me as "my nerd". I even had a t-shirt. Past high school, it ceases to be an insult because you start to realize that even as an intended insult it is really an expression of envy.

16. Jan 15, 2016 #15

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Why don't we use "boon" instead?

17. Jan 15, 2016 #16

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Is this another joke? If so, I don't get it. If you're serious, then my response is ... uh, because it doesn't mean anything and no one would have any idea what is intended?

18. Jan 15, 2016 #17

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I reserve the right to call phinds a "new boob" whenever I want to! Those silicon implants look very good!

Zz.

19. Jan 15, 2016 #18

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

???

20. Jan 15, 2016 #19

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hum... did my attempt at humor completely fall flat?

Zz.

21. Jan 15, 2016 #20

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's the reverse of "noob", see http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/boon [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook