Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unanswered threads

1. Feb 20, 2015 #1

Suraj M

Gold Member

Dear staff,
    Every time a thread goes unanswered for a while, the OP gets an automated post on his thread telling him to add some information, but what that does is that, it puts the thread out of the unanswered threads category making it even more unlikely to be answered. Could you find a better way to reach out to the OP and tell him that his question should be more descriptive.
    Thank you
    sorry if this suggestion was already given!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2015 #2
    That is true! We have considered sending a PM instead. However, moral of the story is to make sure we respond to the thread before the auto bump :)

4. Feb 20, 2015 #3

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Posters will still see it though. I've seen several instances where I responded to an unanswered post not with the answer but a reference and later other posters started contributing too.

Some posters look at specific forums and not at the unanswered queue and by adding more info to clarify the question puts the thread back up on top for a spell.

5. Feb 20, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I find it quite useful to have this automatic answer. I often see threads where I have some rough idea but where I am not sure to know the answer. Usually someone comes and gives the correct answer, so I do not reply but put it on the watched thread list to learn from other answers. If no answer comes at all, that thread would vanish - with the automatic bump, it appears in the watchlist once again and I can try to give a careful answer (if it is better than no answer).

Threads that are unanswered for three days are always problematic in some way - the question is unclear, too special, needs too much effort for a proper answer, poorly written or something else. If no one catches it via the unanswered thread list for three days, it is unlikely to get answered via this feature later on.

6. Feb 20, 2015 #5
    Well this trophies being awarded to those who are first responder to an unanswered thread is good idea but it is a double-edged sword. I have only one evidence to show that but by the way that thread is solved.
    Hope the software could understand like us and then give trophy points. :oldeyes:

7. Feb 20, 2015 #6
    What you don't see is that he did have a reply but edited it out. Not sure why, maybe a mistake he made. I have removed it now. Nothing malicious there.

8. Feb 20, 2015 #7
    Why a . there? He should have deleted instead of edited as both options have same time for a non-gold member.

9. Feb 20, 2015 #8
    Trust me, member actions question my faith in humanity every day :D

10. Feb 20, 2015 #9

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Even the unanswered category will scroll off to oblivion before people get to them, won't it?

"Unanswered threads" is the only reason I ever leave "other sciences". If a thread gets bumped by an autopost, the "locals" (that hang out almost exclusively in one or two subforums) will see it, the vagrants I guess won't, but as long as the thread is in the right place, the locals are the most likely to have the appropriate answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook