Unanswered Threads: Improve Reachout to OP

• Thread starter Suraj M
  • Start date
In summary, I think the staff should find a better way to communicate with the OP about his question.
Suraj M
Gold Member
Dear staff,
Every time a thread goes unanswered for a while, the OP gets an automated post on his thread telling him to add some information, but what that does is that, it puts the thread out of the unanswered threads category making it even more unlikely to be answered. Could you find a better way to reach out to the OP and tell him that his question should be more descriptive.
Thank you
sorry if this suggestion was already given!

Likes micromass
Physics news on Phys.org
That is true! We have considered sending a PM instead. However, moral of the story is to make sure we respond to the thread before the auto bump :)

Likes Suraj M
Posters will still see it though. I've seen several instances where I responded to an unanswered post not with the answer but a reference and later other posters started contributing too.

Some posters look at specific forums and not at the unanswered queue and by adding more info to clarify the question puts the thread back up on top for a spell.

I find it quite useful to have this automatic answer. I often see threads where I have some rough idea but where I am not sure to know the answer. Usually someone comes and gives the correct answer, so I do not reply but put it on the watched thread list to learn from other answers. If no answer comes at all, that thread would vanish - with the automatic bump, it appears in the watchlist once again and I can try to give a careful answer (if it is better than no answer).

Threads that are unanswered for three days are always problematic in some way - the question is unclear, too special, needs too much effort for a proper answer, poorly written or something else. If no one catches it via the unanswered thread list for three days, it is unlikely to get answered via this feature later on.

Well this trophies being awarded to those who are first responder to an unanswered thread is good idea but it is a double-edged sword. I have only one evidence to show that but by the way that thread is solved.
Hope the software could understand like us and then give trophy points. :oldeyes:

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Raghav Gupta said:
Well this trophies being awarded to those who are first responder to an unanswered thread is good idea but it is a double-edged sword. I have only one evidence to show that but by the way that thread is solved.
Hope the software could understand like us and then give trophy points. :oldeyes:
What you don't see is that he did have a reply but edited it out. Not sure why, maybe a mistake he made. I have removed it now. Nothing malicious there.

Why a . there? He should have deleted instead of edited as both options have same time for a non-gold member.

Raghav Gupta said:
Why a . there? He should have deleted instead of edited as both options have same time for a non-gold member.
Trust me, member actions question my faith in humanity every day :D

Likes baldbrain, mfb, Nugatory and 1 other person
Even the unanswered category will scroll off to oblivion before people get to them, won't it?

"Unanswered threads" is the only reason I ever leave "other sciences". If a thread gets bumped by an autopost, the "locals" (that hang out almost exclusively in one or two subforums) will see it, the vagrants I guess won't, but as long as the thread is in the right place, the locals are the most likely to have the appropriate answer.

Likes Suraj M

1. What is the purpose of "Unanswered Threads: Improve Reachout to OP"?

The purpose of "Unanswered Threads: Improve Reachout to OP" is to help increase the visibility of unanswered threads on online forums and encourage other users to reach out and provide answers to the original poster (OP).

2. How does "Unanswered Threads: Improve Reachout to OP" work?

This feature works by identifying threads that have not received any responses and highlighting them in a separate section on the forum. It also provides suggestions for users to reach out to the OP and offer assistance in finding a solution.

3. Why is it important to improve reachout to the OP?

Improving reachout to the OP is important because it helps create a more inclusive and helpful community on online forums. It also ensures that all questions and problems are addressed, leading to a better overall experience for all users.

4. How can "Unanswered Threads: Improve Reachout to OP" benefit forum users?

This feature can benefit forum users by giving them an opportunity to help others and share their knowledge and expertise. It also improves the chances of getting a response to their own unanswered threads, leading to a more efficient problem-solving process.

5. Can "Unanswered Threads: Improve Reachout to OP" be customized for different forums?

Yes, this feature can be customized to fit the needs and preferences of different forums. This can include adjusting the criteria for identifying unanswered threads, changing the placement and design of the feature, and more.