Unbalanced force acting on car

• Thread starter toforfiltum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Force
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of net forces on a car and trailer system, taking into account Newton's 3rd law. The answer is determined to be C and the conversation also mentions the concept of internal friction and resistive forces. The conversation also briefly touches on the origin of the paper being from Cambridge Pre-U.
toforfiltum

Homework Statement

upload_2015-11-3_11-29-46.png

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that since car pulls on trailer with a force of 600 N and there is resistive force of 200 N, net force of car on trailer is 400 N. According to Newton's 3rd law, the unbalanced force acting on car would also be 400 N. But the answer is C. I have no clue how to get to that answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
The 400kg trailer experiences a net forwards force of 400N. This translates into acceleration = 400 N / 400kg = 1 meter / second^2. The car accelerates at the same rate, so the net force on the car is f = 1200 kg x 1 meter / second^2 = 1200 N.

The driven tires on the car would have to exert 1200N + 600N = 1800 N backwards onto the ground, coexistent with the ground exerting 1800 N force forwards onto the driven tires and car.

Likes toforfiltum
rcgldr said:
The 400kg trailer experiences a net forwards force of 400N. This translates into acceleration = 400 N / 400kg = 1 meter / second^2. The car accelerates at the same rate, so the net force on the car is f = 1200 kg x 1 meter / second^2 = 1200 N.

The driven tires on the car would have to exert 1200N + 600N = 1800 N backwards onto the ground, coexistent with the ground exerting 1800 N force forwards onto the tires and car.
Ah, I see now. But may I know if the part I say above where trailer also exerts a force of 400 N is correct? If it isn't how is it correct without breaking Newton's 3rd law?

Newton third law pairs: Driven tires and pavement, 1800 N. Car and tow line, 600 N. Tow line and trailer, 600 N. The resisitve forces on the trailer would be due to internal friction of the bearing surfaces, rolling resistance, aerodynamic drag, ... .

toforfiltum said:
I figured that since car pulls on trailer with a force of 600 N and there is resistive force of 200 N, net force of car on trailer is 400 N.

The net force on the trailer is 400 N, but the force on the trailer by the car is 600 N.

According to Newton's 3rd law, the unbalanced force acting on car would also be 400 N.

According to Newton's 3rd Law, the force on the car by the trailer is 600 N.

rcgldr said:
Newton third law pairs: Driven tires and pavement, 1800 N. Car and tow line, 600 N. Tow line and trailer, 600 N. The resisitve forces on the trailer would be due to internal friction of the bearing surfaces, rolling resistance, aerodynamic drag, ... .
Ok I see now. Thanks!
Mister T said:
The net force on the trailer is 400 N, but the force on the trailer by the car is 600 N.

According to Newton's 3rd Law, the force on the car by the trailer is 600 N.
Thanks. I'm the one breaking the law.:smile:

Hi toforfiltum, may I know what year is this paper from? :smile:

Janiceleong26 said:
Hi toforfiltum, may I know what year is this paper from? :smile:
This not from A level. From Cambridge Pre-U.

toforfiltum said:
This not from A level. From Cambridge Pre-U.
Oh ok thx

1. What is an unbalanced force?

An unbalanced force is a force that causes a change in an object's motion. It occurs when the net force acting on an object is not zero, meaning that there is a stronger force acting in one direction than in the opposite direction.

2. How does an unbalanced force affect a car?

An unbalanced force acting on a car can cause it to accelerate or decelerate, depending on the direction of the force. It can also cause the car to change its direction of motion.

3. What are some examples of unbalanced forces acting on a car?

Examples of unbalanced forces acting on a car include friction between the tires and the road, air resistance, and the force of the engine pushing the car forward.

4. How can unbalanced forces be measured on a car?

Unbalanced forces can be measured using a variety of tools, such as force sensors or force meters. These devices can measure the amount and direction of the force acting on a car.

5. How can unbalanced forces be reduced on a car?

Unbalanced forces can be reduced by making adjustments to the car's design, such as reducing its weight or improving its aerodynamics. Additionally, drivers can also reduce unbalanced forces by driving at a steady speed and avoiding sudden changes in direction.