Unbiased Estimator for Gamma Distribution Parameter

In summary, to show that c / (sample mean X) is unbiased for b, we can use the fact that the sample mean is a consistent estimator for the true mean of the distribution. As n approaches infinity, E(c / (sample mean X)) approaches (c/a) * b, which is equal to b, the true value of the parameter. Therefore, c / (sample mean X) is unbiased for b.
Legendre

Homework Statement

I need to show that c / (sample mean X) is unbiased for b, for some c.

Where {X} are iid Gamma (a,b).

Homework Equations

N.A.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to show that (sample mean X) / a is unbiased for 1/b :

1) E(sample mean X / a) = (1/a)(1/n)(sum of E(X)) by iid
2) Then since E(X) = a/b, sum of E(X) = an/b. And we get the result.

But I have no idea how to evaluate E(1/ (sample mean X))! Where do I start? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there! To show that c / (sample mean X) is unbiased for b, you can use the same approach as before. First, let's remind ourselves of the definition of unbiasedness: a statistic is unbiased for a parameter if the expected value of the statistic is equal to the true value of the parameter.

So, let's start with the expected value of c / (sample mean X):

E(c / (sample mean X)) = c * E(1 / (sample mean X))

Now, we can use the fact that the sample mean is a consistent estimator for the true mean of the distribution. This means that as the sample size increases, the sample mean will converge to the true mean. In other words, as n approaches infinity, sample mean X approaches the true mean of the distribution, which we know is a/b (from the given information).

So, as n approaches infinity, E(1 / (sample mean X)) approaches E(1 / (a/b)), which is equal to b/a (using the same logic as before).

Therefore, we can say that as n approaches infinity, E(c / (sample mean X)) approaches c * (b/a) = (c/a) * b.

Since we know that b is the true value of the parameter, we can say that c / (sample mean X) is unbiased for b.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is an unbiased estimator for the parameter of a gamma distribution?

An unbiased estimator for the parameter of a gamma distribution refers to a statistical method used to estimate the shape and scale parameters of a gamma distribution. It is considered unbiased if, on average, the estimated value is equal to the true value of the parameter.

2. How is the unbiased estimator for the gamma distribution parameter calculated?

The unbiased estimator for the gamma distribution parameter is calculated using the method of moments. This involves equating the sample moments (such as mean and variance) to the theoretical moments of the gamma distribution and solving for the parameters.

3. Why is an unbiased estimator important for the gamma distribution parameter?

An unbiased estimator is important for the gamma distribution parameter because it provides a more accurate estimate of the true value of the parameter. This is crucial for making informed decisions and drawing reliable conclusions based on the data.

4. What are the assumptions for using an unbiased estimator for the gamma distribution parameter?

The assumptions for using an unbiased estimator for the gamma distribution parameter include the sample being independent, identically distributed, and following a gamma distribution. Additionally, the sample size should be sufficiently large for the estimator to be accurate.

5. Are there any limitations to using an unbiased estimator for the gamma distribution parameter?

One limitation of using an unbiased estimator for the gamma distribution parameter is that it may not be the most efficient estimator. This means that it may have a larger variance compared to other estimators, resulting in a wider range of possible values for the parameter. Additionally, the estimator may not work well for small sample sizes or when the assumptions are not met.