1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unbiased estimator

1. Jan 30, 2006 #1
    Hi, I'm working on the following problem and I need some clarification:
    Suppose that a sample is drawn from a [tex]N(\mu,\sigma^2)[/tex] distribution. Recall that [tex]\frac{(n-1)S^2}{\sigma^2}[/tex] has a [tex]\chi^2[/tex] distribution. Use theorem 3.3.1 to determine an unbiased estimator of [tex]\sigma[/tex]
    Thoerem 3.3.1 states:
    Let X have a [tex]\chi^2(r)[/tex] distribution. If [tex] k>-\frac{r}{2}[/tex] then [tex]E(X^k)[/tex] exists and is given by:
    [tex] E(X^k)=\frac{2^k(\Gamma(\frac{r}{2}+k))}{\Gamma(\frac{r}{2})}[/tex]
    My understanding is this:
    The unbiased estimator equals exactly what it's estimating, so [tex]E(\frac{(n-1)S^2}{\sigma^2})[/tex]is supposed to be[tex]\sigma^2[/tex] which is 2(n-1).
    Am I going the right way here?
    CC

Last edited: Jan 30, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2006 #2
    Ok, So after hours of staring at this thing, here's what I did:
    I let k=1/2 and r=n-1, so the thing looks like this:
    [tex]E=\sigma(\sqrt{\frac{2}{n-1}}\frac{\Gamma\frac{n}{2}}{\Gamma\frac{n-1}{2}}[/tex]
    so I use the property of the gamma function that says:
    [tex]\Gamma(\alpha)=(\alpha-1)![/tex]
    which leads to:
    [tex]E=\sigma\sqrt\frac{2}{n-1}(n-1)[/tex]
    So now do i just flip over everything on the RHS,leaving [tex]\sigma[/tex] by itself and that's the unbiased estimator, i.e.
    [tex]\sqrt{2(n-1)}E=\sigma[/tex]
    Any input will be appreciated.
    CC

Last edited: Jan 31, 2006
  4. Jan 31, 2006 #3
    OK
    Anyone who looked and ran away, here at last is the solution: (finally)
    [tex]E=\sigma\sqrt{\frac{2}{n-1}} \frac{\Gamma\frac({n}{2})}{\Gamma\frac({n-1}{2})}[/tex]
    is indeed correct, however my attempt to reduce the RHS with the properties of the Gamma function is wrong.
    The unbiased estimator is obtained by isolating the [tex]\sigma[/tex] on the RHS and then using properties of the Expectation to get:
    [tex]E\left(\sqrt\frac{n-1}{2}\frac{\Gamma(\frac{n-1}{2})}{\frac\Gamma(\frac{n}{2})}S\right)=\sigma[/tex]
    So at last it has been resolved. WWWWEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeee
    CC

Last edited: Jan 31, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?