1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unbounded sequence

1. Jan 23, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Either give an example or show that no example exists.

An unbounded sequence for which 3 is an upper bound, and no β < 3 is an upper bound.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

example: {k}3k=-∞

and by this notation i mean that k starts at -∞ and ends at 3, and k∈ℤ .

I chose -∞ as the lower bound because I wanted this sequence to be unbounded. Then I chose 3 as the upper bound because that is what the original statement asked for.

My questions:
    Does this example fulfill the original statement because I am unsure of what the question means by "and no β < 3 is an upper bound." The book uses β as the upper bound in previous pages.

Also does the way I wrote the sequence mean what I want it to mean? Because I am also confused on the notation.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2017 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

How can an unbounded sequence have an upper bound?
    Can you list the first, say, five terms in this sequence?

4. Jan 23, 2017 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps an "unbounded sequence" means what everybody else calls an "infinite sequence". An infinite sequence can be bounded or unbounded.

5. Jan 23, 2017 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you mean what I think you do, a better way to write it would be ##a_k = 4-k,~k = 1 ..\infty##.

6. Jan 23, 2017 #5
    This is the definition of an unbounded sequence I've been using from online,

a sequence is bounded if it is bounded above and below <=> if ∃k∈ℝ such that | xn | ≤ k ∀n∈ℕ.

The first five terms in this sequence would be
    -∞, -∞+1, -∞+2, -∞+3, -∞+4

I was thinking that an unbounded sequence can have an upper bound if it goes to infinity in some direction but converges to a number as well.

7. Jan 23, 2017 #6
    I checked the answer in the back of the book, and the answer is fn=3-n which seems similar to ak=4-k, k=1...∞.

I think I would have gotten this same answer had the original statement been " An unbounded sequence for which 3 is an upper bound ".

I'm still confused by the bold part: "An unbounded sequence for which 3 is an upper bound, and no β < 3 is an upper bound. "
    I think that it means no number less than 3 can be an upper bound, but isn't this redundant since we said 3 is an upper bound in the first part of the statement?

8. Jan 23, 2017 #7

Mark44

No, these aren't numbers.

9. Jan 23, 2017 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They are the same, assuming ##n## starts at ##0## in ##3-n##.
    No, it isn't redundant. Since ##3## is a term of the sequence, no number ##x## less than ##3## can be an upper bound. How could it be if ##x < 3##?

10. Jan 23, 2017 #9

Mark44

This sequence is bounded since all of the terms are less than or equal to 3.
    I think the problem is poorly worded.

11. Jan 23, 2017 #10

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Aren't you confusing "bounded above" with "bounded"?

12. Jan 23, 2017 #11

Mark44

I don't think so. The definition of bounded sequence I am using is that it is a sequence that is bounded above and bounded below. That is, for some M > 0, |an| < M for all n in Z+ (or similar restriction on n).
    See https://proofwiki.org/wiki/Definition:Bounded_Sequence

13. Jan 23, 2017 #12
    Ok I think I get it. So we're told 3 is an upper bound. That means that the greatest number in this sequence is less than or equal to 3.

we're also told that no number less than 3 is an upper bound.

Therefore 3 must be included in this sequence.

If we were not told that no number less than 3 is an upper bound, then our sequence could have been something like xn=-10-n, n=0 . . ∞

Am i understanding this correctly?

14. Jan 23, 2017 #13

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Then why do you say in post #9 that ##a_k = 4-k,~k=1..\infty## is bounded?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  15. Jan 23, 2017 #14

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, almost. You could have it true if the sequence just got arbitrarily close to ##3## but less than ##3##.

16. Jan 23, 2017 #15
    Ok, thank you both for your help, helped me a lot on this question .

17. Jan 23, 2017 #16

Mark44

I should have said "bounded above."

18. Jan 23, 2017 #17

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right. That's what I pointed out in post #10 in the first place.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted