Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unbounded space

1. Feb 24, 2005 #1
    Can there be any unbounded 3 dimensional space? For example, for a 2-dimensional space, we have an unbounded surface that resides on a sphere.
    How about three-dimensional space?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2005 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sure. For example, the surface of a 4-dimensional sphere!

(PS: I'm not sure if "unbounded" is the word you're looking for... though it might be)

4. Feb 25, 2005 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

R3 is unbounded.
    Maybe he is looking for "finite but unbounded".
    Another example is the analog of a torus (The Asteroids topology :tongue2: ).

5. Feb 25, 2005 #4

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Now this is what has confused me, surely an n-sphere is bounded as a metric space, I think the correct matehamtical term is 'boundaryless' i.e. a manifold without boundaries.

6. Feb 26, 2005 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The example he gives (surface of a sphere) is what I would call (perhaps "paradoxically) "bounded but having no boundary".

That is, the set of all possible distances between points has an upper bound but there is no boundary: points such that every neighborhood contains some points in the set and some points not in the set.

Of course, there exist 3 dimensional bounded sets that have no boundary- but you have to imagine them embedded in 4 dimensional space. The surface of a 4-sphere is an example.

7. Feb 26, 2005 #6

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually now I think a little more, boundaryless and compact is probably what the OP was looking for.

8. Feb 26, 2005 #7

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

it always helps to define your terms. i.e. does "bounded" mean not very big, or having an edge?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?