Which school has the better math program: UNC or NC State?

• Thread starter Geekchick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hill State
In summary, UNC has a better math department, but it is not the best in the country. NCSU is easier and has a better science program.
Geekchick
I have been accepted into UNC and am anticipating an acceptance letter from State. I had planned on attending State because I wasn't sure if I would get into UNC, but now that I have I can't decide where I won't to go.

So my question is which school has the better math department? I plan on getting my B.S. in mathematics then applying to grad school so I can get my PhD.

Both schools seem to have very good programs and ample opportunity for undergrad research, as well as participation in competitions such as the Putnam exam. I would love to get some opinions from student or alumni from either university as well as from anyone who knows more about the university than what they state on their respective websites.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, I am currently a junior physics major at UNC, so I have had my fair share of math classes here. If you choose (or have chosen, only got a week or so left if I remember admissions correctly) UNC, the professors you have for your individual classes will make a huge difference on what is covered in the class and how difficult the class is. There seems to be little departmental oversight of what is taught in classes, as I have had friends take a class with a different professor and they covered completely different topics. Quite frankly the physics students find the math department here not very helpful. Classes are much slower paced than in physics and seem to have little direction.

I am also deciding between Chapel Hill and NCSU as a transfer this coming year. So you aren't impressed by the math department there? I am planning on double majoring in math and physics so a good math and physics department is important to me. How do you like the physics program there? And do you know anything about NCSU's math or physics program?

Sheneron said:
I am also deciding between Chapel Hill and NCSU as a transfer this coming year. So you aren't impressed by the math department there? I am planning on double majoring in math and physics so a good math and physics department is important to me. How do you like the physics program there? And do you know anything about NCSU's math or physics program?

The math classes here at UNC is somewhat of a joke when compared to the physics classes. The physics classes here that are taught by not so good professors still force you to learn material. The math classes lack focus and direction. For instance, my calculus 3 class focused more on the teacher's area of research in math (topology) than it did on things we were supposed to learn. We did not even mention surface or volume integrals until the last day before class when he realized we were supposed to cover them. The physics department has ended up introducing me to more math than the math department.

I can not speak directly to the math/physics departments at NCSU, but I can speak generally from friends that attend there and people taking classes at the other school. NCSU is much easier than UNC, even in the sciences. A friend of mine was deciding between the two schools and visited a junior level mechanics class at NCSU and she said it was essentially the same as her AP Physics C class. There are also some people who have taken classes (science and nonscience) here at UNC, failed them, then taken them at NCSU and received an A.

I suggest visiting both schools and just walking around. I chose not to even apply to NCSU for undergraduate after I visited because the academic atmosphere was just not on the same level of UNC or Duke.

So much for the grass being greener...

What is the difference in academic reputation between UNC-Chapel Hill and NC State?

Both UNC-Chapel Hill and NC State are highly respected universities in North Carolina. However, UNC-Chapel Hill is generally considered to have a slightly higher academic reputation, particularly in the fields of business, law, and medicine.

Which university has a better athletic program: UNC-Chapel Hill or NC State?

Both UNC-Chapel Hill and NC State have strong athletic programs with a long history of success. Overall, UNC-Chapel Hill has more national championships and a higher ranking in the NCAA Division I Directors' Cup, which measures overall success in all sports.

What is the campus atmosphere like at UNC-Chapel Hill and NC State?

UNC-Chapel Hill and NC State have very different campus atmospheres. UNC-Chapel Hill has a more traditional, picturesque campus with historic buildings and a strong sense of community. NC State has a more modern, urban feel with a focus on science and technology. Both universities have a vibrant student life and active campus organizations.

How do the tuition and fees compare between UNC-Chapel Hill and NC State?

The cost of attendance at UNC-Chapel Hill and NC State is similar for in-state students. However, out-of-state students will typically pay more at UNC-Chapel Hill due to its higher out-of-state tuition rates. It is important to note that both universities offer scholarships and financial aid to help offset the cost of attendance.

What are the most popular majors at UNC-Chapel Hill and NC State?

The most popular majors at UNC-Chapel Hill include business, biology, psychology, and political science. At NC State, the most popular majors include engineering, business, agriculture, and biological sciences. Both universities offer a wide range of majors and have strong programs in various fields.