Integrating a Complex Integral using Substitution and Simplification

• I
  • Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of evaluating the integral of ##\displaystyle \int \frac{x}{1+\cos^2x}dx## using substitution and simplification. The individual suggests multiplying the numerator and denominator by ##\frac{\sin^2x}{\cos^4x}##, but is corrected by another individual who points out a mistake in the simplification. The conversation then suggests using complex numbers and a substitution to continue simplifying the integral.
Mr Davis 97
I am trying to evaluate the integral ##\displaystyle \int \frac{x}{1+\cos^2x}dx##. I have started by multiplying both the numerator and the denominator by ##\frac{\sin^2x}{\cos^4x}##, to get ##\displaystyle \int \frac{x\frac{\sin^2x}{\cos^4x}}{1+\tan^2x}dx##, and the denominator simplifies to sec^2, so we get ##\displaystyle \int x \tan^2x~dx##. Is my reasoning up to this point correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
I am trying to evaluate the integral ##\displaystyle \int \frac{x}{1+\cos^2x}dx##. I have started by multiplying both the numerator and the denominator by ##\frac{\sin^2x}{\cos^4x}##, to get ##\displaystyle \int \frac{x\frac{\sin^2x}{\cos^4x}}{1+\tan^2x}dx##, and the denominator simplifies to sec^2, so we get ##\displaystyle \int x \tan^2x~dx##. Is my reasoning up to this point correct?
I think you have a mistake in your work. If you multiply the denominator by ##\frac{\sin^2x}{\cos^4x}##, you get ##(1+\cos^2x)\frac{\sin^2x}{\cos^4x} = \frac{\sin^2x}{\cos^4x} + \tan^2x##. That first term on the right doesn't simplify to 1.

Wolframalpha gives a pretty complicated result: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+x/(1+++cos^2(x))+dx

Using the complex domain: Substitute [itex]u=e^{ix} [/itex], then [itex] x=\frac{1}{i}\log(u)= -i\log(u)[/itex], [itex] \frac{du}{dx}=ie^{ix}=iu[/itex] and the integrand becomes
[tex]\frac{-i\log(u)}{1+(\frac{1}{2}(u+\frac{1}{u}))^{2}}=\frac{-i\log(u)}{1+(\frac{1}{4}(u^{2}+2+\frac{1}{u^{2}}))}=\frac{-4iu^{2}\log(u)}{4u^{2}+u^{4}+2u^{2}+1} [/tex]
This can be rewritten as [tex]\frac{-2iu^{2}\log(u^{2})}{(u^{2}-3-2\sqrt{2})(u^{2}-3+2\sqrt{2})} [/tex] Now substitute z = u2.

Try to continue from there.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that is used to calculate the area under a curve on a graph. It is also used to find the volume of a solid shape in three-dimensional space. It is an important tool in calculus and has many real-world applications in fields such as physics and engineering.

2. How do I solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you need to use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. These techniques involve manipulating the integral to make it easier to solve, and then using basic integration rules to find the answer. It is important to have a good understanding of basic calculus concepts before attempting to solve integrals.

3. What does it mean when an integral is uncertain?

An integral is uncertain when it cannot be solved using traditional integration techniques. This can happen when the function being integrated is too complex or when there is not enough information given to solve the integral. In these cases, numerical methods or technology such as graphing calculators may be used to approximate the integral.

4. How do I know if my answer to an integral is correct?

If you are using traditional integration techniques, you can check your answer by taking the derivative of the integrated function. If the resulting function is the same as the original function, then your answer is correct. If you are using numerical methods, you can check your answer by using a smaller interval size and seeing if the answer converges to the same value.

5. Is it possible for an integral to have multiple solutions?

Yes, an integral can have multiple solutions. This can happen when the function being integrated is not continuous or when there are multiple definite intervals being integrated. It is important to carefully consider the given information and the context of the problem to determine which solution is the most appropriate.