Uncertain on a few things photons

• Thread starter ally75
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photons
In summary: Since the wavelengths don't change, you can pull the hbar2pi/lamdas out and subtract the unit vectors. That's the momentum added to the spacecraft.
ally75
right, so I am supposed to draw a free body diagram of the avg photon impact on a spacecraft , as well as approximate a value for the force vector those photons may create. It's a really rough estimation, but I am having trouble with a few things:

a. the fundamnetal frequency of a photon
b. calculating the force, since photons travel at a constant c, and don't accelerate.
c. do photons have mass or not? My teacher told me it wasnt entirely true that photons were massless, however everything I find online contradicts him.

due tmrw morning, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
ally75 said:
right, so I am supposed to draw a free body diagram of the avg photon impact on a spacecraft , as well as approximate a value for the force vector those photons may create. It's a really rough estimation, but I am having trouble with a few things:

b. calculating the force, since photons travel at a constant c, and don't accelerate.
c. do photons have mass or not? My teacher told me it wasnt entirely true that photons were massless, however everything I find online contradicts him.

due tmrw morning, thanks
a) The energy of a photon of wavelength [itex]\lambda[/itex] or frequency [itex]\nu[/itex] is:

[tex]E = hc/\lambda = h\nu[/tex]

So the frequency of a photon is its energy divided by h (Planck's constant).

b). The momentum of a photon is:

[tex]p = E/c = h/\lambda = h\nu/c[/tex]

While it is true that photons do not accelerate, (they always travel at c, the speed of light) they carry momentum. So they impart a force to the absorbing object when absorbed. The force is difficult to measure because the time over which it acts is so small. But you are interested in the force x time or impulse imparted to the spacecraft . That impulse is the photon's momentum, E/c

c) photons do not have rest mass or inertia. But they transport mass/inertia across space, as Einstein first noticed when discovering the famous relationship, [itex]E = mc^2[/itex]. So when the photon is absorbed, there is a small increase in mass of the spaceship (so small it is practically immeasureable) in the amount [itex]m = E/c^2 = h/c\lambda = h\nu/c^2[/itex].

AM

Last edited:
ally75 said:

due tmrw morning, thanks

For a), a photon can have any frequency, take the EM spectrum for eg, from X-ray to microwave, any frequency is possible. For b), photons still exert a momentum, hence a force, so v = c. For c), the mass of a photon is very very small, so normally we assume to be close to zero or negligible.

thiotimoline said:
c), the mass of a photon is very very small, so normally we assume to be close to zero or negligible.

That is incorrect. Photons are completely massless, at least according to current theory.

The weird thing is that while photons do not have mass, they do have momentum. The relation given above that p = h/lambda is correct, it was one of the formulas which gave birth to quantum mechanics.

Also, photons can accelerate. Remember that velocity is a vector quantity. While the speed of photons is always c, the direction of motion can change, which is an acceleration.

[tex] \vec{p} = \hbar \vec{k} [/tex]

[tex] |\vec{k}| = \frac{2\pi}{\lambda} [/tex]

and the [itex] \vec{k} [/itex] points in the direction of motion of the photon. So for this problem, the change in momentum of the photon will be the difference in the k vectors times hbar. Since the wavelengths don't change, you can pull the hbar2pi/lamdas out and subtract the unit vectors. That's the momentum added to the spaceship.

BoTemp said:
That is incorrect. Photons are completely massless, at least according to current theory.

The weird thing is that while photons do not have mass, they do have momentum. The relation given above that p = h/lambda is correct, it was one of the formulas which gave birth to quantum mechanics.

Also, photons can accelerate. Remember that velocity is a vector quantity. While the speed of photons is always c, the direction of motion can change, which is an acceleration.

[tex] \vec{p} = \hbar \vec{k} [/tex]

[tex] |\vec{k}| = \frac{2\pi}{\lambda} [/tex]

and the [itex] \vec{k} [/itex] points in the direction of motion of the photon. So for this problem, the change in momentum of the photon will be the difference in the k vectors times hbar. Since the wavelengths don't change, you can pull the hbar2pi/lamdas out and subtract the unit vectors. That's the momentum added to the spaceship.
Hmm. An accelerating photon. Are you sure it is the same photon that is changing direction?

I would suggest that a photon changes velocity only due to a gravitational field. And I would be reluctant to call that acceleration.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Hmm. An accelerating photon. Are you sure it is the same photon that is changing direction?

I would suggest that a photon changes velocity only due to a gravitational field. And I would be reluctant to call that acceleration.

AM
Well that depends on the coordinate system.

MeJennifer said:
Well that depends on the coordinate system.
What, exactly, depends on the coordinate system?

AM

1. What are photons?

Photons are tiny packets of energy that make up electromagnetic radiation, including light. They are considered the fundamental unit of light and have properties of both waves and particles.

2. How do photons travel?

Photons travel at the speed of light, approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. They do not have mass, so they do not experience time or distance in the same way that matter does. This allows them to travel long distances without losing energy.

3. Can photons be seen?

Yes, photons can be seen when they interact with matter. When photons of light hit our retinas, they trigger a chain reaction that allows us to see. However, individual photons cannot be seen with the naked eye, as they are too small and move too quickly.

4. Do photons have a wavelength?

Yes, photons have a wavelength, which determines the color of light they create. The shorter the wavelength, the higher the energy and frequency of the photon. This is why blue light has a shorter wavelength and higher energy than red light.

5. How do photons affect matter?

Photons can interact with matter in various ways, such as absorption, reflection, and emission. When a photon is absorbed by an atom, it can excite its electrons, causing them to jump to a higher energy level. When the electrons return to their original level, they release a new photon, creating emission. This process is how we see color and light in the world around us.