1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uncertainties for Stress

1. Feb 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For my physics course work i need to work out the uncertainty of stress, is there formula for this or is it just the largest value of uncertainty

for example is my area is 7.548E-08 +/- 6.452% and my force 2 +/- 25%

2. Relevant equations

stress= Force/area

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried putting both the uncertaintys in the equation for stess so 6.452/25% but the uncertainty becomes far to small then

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2012 #2
    I suggest that you try all four extreme combinations and just see what uncertainty you get. Try that first just for fun.

Then, consider this logic: I'm going to rewrite your equation as Stress = Force*Smallness where Smallness is something I just invented equal to 1/Area.

25% is too big for this to work accurately so I'll change it to 5%.

So if Area is 2 +/- 5%, what about Smallness? Area is 1.9 -> 2.1 so Smallness is 0.526 -> 0.476 which is near enough 0.5 +/- 0.025 which is 5%

So if the percentage uncertainty in X is Y then the percentage uncertainty in 1/X is also roughly Y.

So when you divide A by B you treat the percentage uncertainties just as you would if you'd multiplied them.

If you remember, you add the uncertainties when you multiply the quantities. If you don't, do what I said up top just for fun.

As for that 25% I had to tiptoe around, well indeed, this whole way of treating uncertainties is just a fairly bad approximation, and it fails badly at numbers like 25%. If you want to know the real deal, study statistics.

Adrian.

4. Feb 26, 2012 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook