How Do You Calculate Uncertainty in Stress Measurements?

In summary, when calculating the uncertainty of stress, you can use the formula σ = F/A and treat the percentage uncertainties in F and A the same way you would when multiplying quantities. However, this method may not be accurate for large uncertainties, such as 25%, and a more precise approach would be to study statistics.
abray10

Homework Statement

For my physics course work i need to work out the uncertainty of stress, is there formula for this or is it just the largest value of uncertainty

for example is my area is 7.548E-08 +/- 6.452% and my force 2 +/- 25%

Homework Equations

stress= Force/area

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried putting both the uncertaintys in the equation for stess so 6.452/25% but the uncertainty becomes far to small then

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest that you try all four extreme combinations and just see what uncertainty you get. Try that first just for fun.

Then, consider this logic: I'm going to rewrite your equation as Stress = Force*Smallness where Smallness is something I just invented equal to 1/Area.

25% is too big for this to work accurately so I'll change it to 5%.

So if Area is 2 +/- 5%, what about Smallness? Area is 1.9 -> 2.1 so Smallness is 0.526 -> 0.476 which is near enough 0.5 +/- 0.025 which is 5%

So if the percentage uncertainty in X is Y then the percentage uncertainty in 1/X is also roughly Y.

So when you divide A by B you treat the percentage uncertainties just as you would if you'd multiplied them.

If you remember, you add the uncertainties when you multiply the quantities. If you don't, do what I said up top just for fun.

As for that 25% I had to tiptoe around, well indeed, this whole way of treating uncertainties is just a fairly bad approximation, and it fails badly at numbers like 25%. If you want to know the real deal, study statistics.

Adrian.

1. What is the definition of uncertainty in the context of stress?

Uncertainty refers to the lack of precise knowledge or understanding about the potential impact of stress on an individual or system. It can also refer to the variability or unpredictability of stressors and their effects.

2. How do scientists measure uncertainty for stress?

Scientists use various methods to measure uncertainty for stress, including statistical analyses, surveys, and experiments. These methods help to quantify the level of uncertainty and assess the reliability of data and results.

3. What are some factors that contribute to uncertainties in stress research?

There are several factors that can contribute to uncertainties in stress research, including individual differences, environmental factors, measurement errors, and the complex nature of stress itself. These factors can make it challenging to accurately measure and understand the effects of stress.

4. How can uncertainties in stress research impact decision-making?

The presence of uncertainties in stress research can make it difficult to make informed decisions regarding the management and prevention of stress. It may also lead to conflicting or inconclusive results, making it challenging to establish clear guidelines or recommendations for addressing stress.

5. What are some strategies for managing uncertainties in stress research?

To manage uncertainties in stress research, scientists can use a combination of rigorous methodologies and transparent reporting to increase the reliability and reproducibility of their findings. Collaboration and replication of studies can also help to reduce uncertainties and improve our understanding of stress and its effects.