Uncertainty Calculation for 6mV Input on Linear Force Measuring Device

In summary, a nominally linear electrical output force measuring device has an input range of 0-100 lbf and a full scale output of 30mV. The temperature effect on the device's zero is 0.002% of full scale per degree Fahrenheit, and the span is 0.002% of reading per degree Fahrenheit. In an environment with a temperature range of 50-95°F, for an input of 6mV, the uncertainties from these effects are +0.015/-0.012.
pinkcashmere

Homework Statement

A nominally linear electrical output force measuring device has the following manufacturer
specifications:

Input range : 0-100 lbf
Full Scale output : 30mV

Temperature effect on:
Zero 0.002 % full scale/degrees Fahrenheit
Span 0.002 % of reading/degrees Fahrenheit

The device is used in an environment where the ambient temperature is not controlled
and can vary between 50 and 95°F.

For an input of 6mV, what are the uncertainties from these effects?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am supposed to be getting +0.015/-0.012 as the answer but I don't know what I should do to get this. I have tried 0.002 % of 100, 30 , 60 but nothing is working

Physics news on Phys.org
pinkcashmere said:

Homework Statement

A nominally linear electrical output force measuring device has the following manufacturer
specifications:

Input range : 0-100 lbf
Full Scale output : 30mV

Temperature effect on:
Zero 0.002 % full scale/degrees Fahrenheit
Span 0.002 % of reading/degrees Fahrenheit
Can you elaborate a bit on what these mean?
pinkcashmere said:
The device is used in an environment where the ambient temperature is not controlled
and can vary between 50 and 95°F.

For an input of 6mV, what are the uncertainties from these effects?
I'm confused. Above you say that the input range is 0 - 100 lbf (pound feet?), and the max output is 30mV. Just above you say that the input is 6mV. Do you have the inputs and outputs switched?
pinkcashmere said:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am supposed to be getting +0.015/-0.012 as the answer but I don't know what I should do to get this. I have tried 0.002 % of 100, 30 , 60 but nothing is working

What is an uncertainty question?

An uncertainty question is a question that deals with the degree of confidence or reliability in a scientific measurement or result. It addresses the potential for error or variation in the data.

Why is it important to consider uncertainties in scientific data?

Uncertainties are an inherent part of scientific data and must be considered to accurately interpret and communicate results. Ignoring or neglecting uncertainties can lead to incorrect conclusions and misleading information.

How are uncertainties quantified?

Uncertainties are quantified using statistical analysis and mathematical calculations based on the precision and accuracy of the measurement tools and methods used. This can include calculating standard deviations, confidence intervals, and error bars.

Can uncertainties be completely eliminated?

No, uncertainties cannot be completely eliminated in scientific data. Even with the most precise and accurate measurement techniques, there will always be a degree of uncertainty due to various factors such as human error, equipment limitations, and natural variability.

How can uncertainties be minimized?

Uncertainties can be minimized by using reliable and precise measurement techniques, repeating experiments to gather more data, and accounting for potential sources of error. Collaborative research and peer review can also help to identify and minimize uncertainties in scientific data.