1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uncertainty after Conversion

1. Feb 4, 2007 #1
    I'm trying to do a lab writeup, and I'm going to include the uncertainty values as part of the data table. I was measuring distances with a meter stick with smallest divisions of 1mm, and estimated the error to be .05cm (.5mm - half the smallest division, as our TA told us was a good rule of thumb). However, having the data in (cm) was not useful, so I simply converted to (m), and the error along with it - the error of .05(cm) became an error of .0005(m). The TA, checking our data before we left the lab, told me that the conversion was wrong - that error can't get smaller just because you up-converted the data. I thought this was crazy because %error is still the same. She even pointed out the error propagation tables, showing me that the error for Z = a(B) ± C is dZ = a(dB), which seems to prove my point, not hers. Who is right?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are right. The error didn't change. Just the units.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?