Uncertainty Calculation for Quantum Physics Lab | General Physics FAQ

In summary, the conversation discusses uncertainty in a quantum physics lab, specifically in the context of multiplying two quantities with uncertainties. The length between the two extreme values of the new quantity z can be used to determine its uncertainty. The partial derivatives method can be used to calculate the uncertainty if the quantities do not have covariance.
Zarlucicil
I'm in the process of doing a quantum physics lab and am having a bit of trouble with uncertainty. The specific things going on in the lab aren't relevant, I don't think, only the general procedure of my calculation. Also, I'm not certain where this question should be asked, so I decided to put it here (General Physics).

Let's say we are measuring a quantity x that has an uncertainty of b. Thus,
[tex] x \pm b [/tex].

Clearly, x has a maximum and minimum value. Namely,
[tex] x_L = x - b [/tex]
[tex] x_H = x + b [/tex].

There is another quantity y, which is constant, that has an uncertainty of d. It appears y also has a maximum and minimum value,
[tex] y_L = y - d [/tex]
[tex] y_H = y + d [/tex].

Now we want to multiply these two quantities together to get a new quantity z = xy. It seems that this value z has a maximum and minimum value as well,
[tex] z_L = y_L x_L [/tex]
[tex] z_H = y_H x_H [/tex].

Is it permissible to say that the uncertainty on z is the following? (The length between the two extreme values of z divided by 2)
[tex] \frac{z_H - z_L}{2} [/tex].

So, after we measure x we need to multiply by y to get z, and y is a constant which only needs to be measured once, but still as an uncertainty. Can we describe z in the following manner?

[tex] z \pm \left( \frac{z_H - z_L}{2} \right) [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
What I would use is the partial derivatives method. What you have is f(x,y)=z=xy then [tex]\sigma_{z}^{2}=\sigma_{x}^{2} (\frac{\partial z}{\partial x})_{x,y}^2+ \sigma_{y}^{2} (\frac{\partial z}{\partial y})_{x,y}^2[/tex] will give in your case: [tex]\sigma_{z}=\sqrt{d^{2}x^2 +b^2 y^2}[/tex].This is good only if your x and y do not have covariance.

What is uncertainty in quantum physics?

Uncertainty in quantum physics refers to the inherent limitation in our ability to precisely measure certain properties of a particle or system. This is due to the unpredictable nature of quantum mechanics, where the act of measuring can affect the state of the particle being measured.

How do you calculate uncertainty in quantum physics?

Uncertainty in quantum physics is calculated using the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the product of the uncertainties in position and momentum (or any two conjugate variables) must be greater than or equal to a certain value. This value is known as Planck's constant.

What factors affect uncertainty in quantum physics measurements?

There are several factors that can affect uncertainty in quantum physics measurements, including the precision and accuracy of the measuring equipment, the environment in which the measurement is taking place, and the quantum state of the particle being measured.

How can uncertainty be reduced in quantum physics experiments?

One way to reduce uncertainty in quantum physics experiments is to increase the precision and accuracy of the measuring equipment. Another approach is to perform multiple measurements and use statistical analysis to reduce the overall uncertainty. Additionally, reducing external influences on the system being measured can also help to reduce uncertainty.

Why is uncertainty important in quantum physics?

Uncertainty is important in quantum physics because it is a fundamental aspect of the quantum world. It is also a key concept in the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which has implications for our understanding of the behavior of particles and systems at the quantum level. Additionally, uncertainty plays a crucial role in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing and quantum sensing.