1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Uncertainty Calculations

1. Mar 1, 2016 #1
    Hi,

I'm doing a lab report and for every number we need to calculate the uncertainty. I tried to calculate by using the SQRT of the number but i didn't get the same answer as my partner had?
    could you help me!!

These are the numbers and the uncertainty of my partner which i could not figure out how it was done!

upload_2016-3-1_14-1-27.png

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2016 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

It appears the uncertainty was calculated as
    ##\sqrt{2CPM}##.

4. Mar 1, 2016 #3
    Thanks RUber for the fast reply.

Are there any other way to calculate the uncertainty ?
    And how can i know i'm using that right way?

5. Mar 1, 2016 #4

RUber

Homework Helper

Normally, the uncertainty comes from your measurement tool, or from the process itself.
    Without more information about the expected relationships between your data, I am not sure why you would choose one method over another for uncertainty estimation.

In this document (http://instructor.physics.lsa.umich.edu/int-labs/Statistics.pdf) there is a reference to the "square root rule," which generally says if you know nothing else about a number (large integer), the standard deviation is the square root of the number.

Assuming CPM is a measure of some C per minute, then it might make sense that your count for 2 minutes was 2*CPM.
    Then the uncertainty in that measurement would be (using square root rule) ##\sqrt{2 CPM}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted