What is the uncertainty in the activity of Cesium 137 over time?

In summary, the original activity was 60 mCi and it is currently 26.84 mCi. However, the uncertainty in time is 6 months, and to find the total uncertainty in the activity you could use the error propagation rule.
Smigglet
Hello, one of my friends came over to get some help on a homework problem, and it went past over my head I am pretty good with stats, just don't know how to approach this to help him out.

So a radionuclides' activity (Cesium 137) is measured in the year of 1981, (no date just year), and its 60mCi, and its present activity is measured on 02/05/2016.

so i calculated the present act to be 26.84mCi.

however, how do i find totaI uncertainty in the activity.

I was thinking may be it was (InitialA^2 + FinalA^2)^2? However, there does seem to be error in the decay time due to not having a date opposed to just a year.

any help?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello Smigglet, :welcome:

If the original activity is given as 60 mCi it will be hard to give an answer in 4 digits. 1% is a reasonable estimate of the error in original activity.
And the uncertainty in time is 6 months.
Apply the error propagation rule $$\left (\Delta f(x,y) \right )^2 = \left ( \partial f\over \partial x\right )^2 \left (\Delta x\right )^2 + \left ( \partial f\over \partial y\right )^2 \left (\Delta y\right )^2$$

And PF greetings to your friend

Thank you for the reply :)

How would i go about applying the error propogation rule this scenario, i normally have detector data, or number of counts and time that use i the propagation rule. Not too sure how i would apply it here, and excuse me for dumb my question, i cannot see how the uncertainty in time is 6 months if anything id think it would be the difference from date to date, assuming the measurement was taken 02/05/1981, so i would think the uncertainty would be 1 month since we don't know if the measurement was on january.

I think I am confusing myself here lol

Like most years, 1981 runs from January 1 to December 31; so if you use ##t_0## June 1 you're at most 6 months off.
The text as you render it (no date just year) gives me no reason to expect that ##t_0## is May 2, 1981.
It's a conservative estimate for the error in the ##t_0## (a better estimate might be the sigma for a uniform distribution -- 3.5 months)

If someone gives you 60 for the activity, you may assume it's not 61 and not 59, so ##60.0 \pm 0.5## is a reasonable interpretation.

You are confusing yourself if you interpret the 60 as a number of counts (in which case ##\sqrt {60}## would be the estimated standard deviation)

Anyway, you have two contributions of about 1 % so reporting ##\ 27\pm 0.5## mCi or just plain ##27## mCi would be reasonable IMHO.

Like the pirates say: it's more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Smigglet said:
Not too sure how i would apply it here
If ##\ \displaystyle {\ f = A_0\, 2^{t-t_0\over t_{1/2}}} \ ## then you can differentiate and calculate. I just did the differentiation numerically by calculating the power of 2 for ##t_0 = ## 1-1-81, 1-6-81, 1-12-81 and adding 1% (in ##A_0## ) and 1% (in the power of 2) in quadrature: about 1.4% of 27, so 0.5 :smile:

--

1. What is uncertainty in activity?

Uncertainty in activity refers to the lack of precise or definite knowledge about the outcome of an activity. It is a measure of the potential for error or variation in the results of an experiment or process.

2. What causes uncertainty in activity?

Uncertainty in activity can be caused by a variety of factors, including measurement error, limitations of equipment or instruments, human error, and the inherent variability of natural processes.

3. How is uncertainty in activity measured?

Uncertainty in activity is typically measured using statistical analysis, such as standard deviation or confidence intervals. It can also be expressed as a percentage or range of values.

4. Why is it important to consider uncertainty in activity?

Considering uncertainty in activity is important because it allows for a more accurate and reliable interpretation of results. It also helps to identify potential sources of error and improve the design and execution of experiments or processes.

5. How can uncertainty in activity be reduced?

Uncertainty in activity can be reduced by using more precise measurement techniques, improving equipment or instrumentation, increasing sample size, and minimizing sources of error through careful experimental design and execution.