Uncertainty in Energy an ground state energy

In summary: This is represented by the Schrodinger equation for minimum allowed energy, which is h^2/8mL^2 for a finite well. Overall, this shows that the particle in the potential well must have an energy equal to its lowest allowed energy in order to satisfy the uncertainty principles and the Schrodinger equation. In summary, the ground state of a particle trapped in a potential well must have an energy equal to its lowest allowed energy, as determined by the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, the energy uncertainty principle, and the Schrodinger equation for minimum allowed energy.
Chiborino
I'm asked to show that in the ground state, a particle trapped in a potential well approximately equal to its lowest allowed energy.

I know the expression for the energy is h^2/8mL^2 for a finite well, and ΔEΔt~h/2π. But I'm at a loss as to how I'm supposed to even begin to start this.

Attempts at a solution: I played around with Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, the energy uncertainty principle, and the Schrodinger equation for minimum allowed energy that I listed above, but didn't really get anywhere meaningful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help would be appreciated. Answer: The particle in the potential well must have an energy equal to its lowest allowed energy. This is because according to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, the product of the uncertainty in position and momentum for a particle in its ground state must be equal to or greater than Planck's constant h divided by 4π. Therefore, the particle must occupy the lowest energy state in order to satisfy this principle. Furthermore, the energy uncertainty principle states that the uncertainty in energy multiplied by the time it takes to measure this energy must be greater than or equal to Planck's constant h divided by 2π. In other words, the particle must remain in its lowest energy state for a sufficient amount of time to measure its energy. Since the particle is trapped in a potential well, its energy cannot change, so the particle must remain in its lowest energy state.

1. What is uncertainty in energy?

Uncertainty in energy refers to the inability to precisely determine the exact amount of energy possessed by a system. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, which states that the more accurately we know the position of a particle, the less we know about its momentum and vice versa.

2. How is uncertainty in energy related to the ground state energy?

The ground state energy is the lowest possible energy state that a system can have. According to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, the uncertainty in energy and the uncertainty in time are inversely proportional. This means that the more precisely we know the ground state energy, the less we know about the time at which the system is in that state.

3. Why is uncertainty in energy important in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, particles behave like waves and have wave-like properties. This means that their position and momentum cannot be known simultaneously with absolute certainty. The uncertainty principle helps us understand the limitations of measurement in the quantum world and plays a crucial role in predicting the behavior of subatomic particles.

4. Can uncertainty in energy be reduced or eliminated?

No, uncertainty in energy is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and cannot be eliminated. It is a consequence of the wave-particle duality of particles and the limitations of measurement in the quantum world. However, it can be minimized by using more precise measurement techniques and reducing external disturbances on the system.

5. How does uncertainty in energy affect our understanding of the physical world?

Uncertainty in energy challenges our classical understanding of the physical world, where particles were thought to have precise positions and momenta. It highlights the probabilistic nature of the quantum world and the limitations of our human perception. It also has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and cryptography.