1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uncertainty in expectation value.

1. Nov 6, 2006 #1
    When trying to work out the uncerainty in position of the expectation value I have read that you have to find <r^2> aswell as <r>^2. I have worked out the value of 3a/2 for <r> but what do I have to do to find <r^2>. Do I just sqare the whole function before I integrate?
    Also as I am integrating I found, in a book a table that had a general form of integrations between 0 and infinity. I used it without giving it much thought but how would you evaluate this? Thanks:confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2006 #2
    Yes to find <r^2> you integrate r^2 p(r) dr instead of rp(r)dr. Or for any function of r, it's just int[f(r)p(r)dr].

I'm guessing the table was for the gaussian interal int[exp(-ax^2)] a>0? The integral can't be evaluated directly, you have to do some weird substitutions, if you want to know how to do it I can show you. It's easiest to remember the the soln is sqrt(pi/a), from 0 to infinity is half this, and for x^2n exp(-ax^2), differentiate both sides wrt a.

4. Nov 7, 2006 #3
    Ok thanks for that. I have done the inegral and worked out the uncertainty. The value I have got is sqrt(3)a/2. It seems like an awful lot to me. Anyway, do you know if this is right. I am doing this for the ground state of hydrogen. If I have got the correct value. Why is it so large?

5. Nov 8, 2006 #4
    Not entirely sure, what exactly was the integral? And what is a? I haven't done any quantum, not sure what this is about exactly.

6. Nov 8, 2006 #5
    [tex] \Delta r = \sqrt{<r^2> - <r>^2} [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?