Uncertainty in heisenbergs uncertainty principle

  • Thread starter niehls
  • Start date
25
0

Main Question or Discussion Point

uncertainty in heisenbergs uncertainty principle (urgent)

This might be a stupid question, but i seem to find different versions of this the more i look. I have a big exam tomorrow, and i have a slight problem. The thing is that our textbook says that Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is
dx x dp (larger or equal to) h
dt x dE (larger or equal to) h

looking through my notes, i find
dx x dp (larger or equal to) h/2pie
dt x dE (larger or equal to) h/2pie

and a search on the internet yield more versions, among them:
dx x dp (larger or equal to) h/4pie
dt x dE (larger or equal to) h/4pie

hmm. could someone please try to explain this discrepancy to me. And please hurry, exam tomorrow :smile:

Thanks
 
Last edited:

Answers and Replies

3,761
8
niehls said:
i find
dx x dp (larger or equal to) h/2pie
dt x dE (larger or equal to) h/2pie
There is not much to say about that. The formula's above are the correct version. Sometimes, the first version that you wrote is also used. It can be done because it differs from the correct one only up to some constant. The meaning however (the uncertainty) is still represented here. But in the end, just use the "official" version above

regards
marlon
 
Hans de Vries
Science Advisor
Gold Member
1,085
21
niehls said:
and a search on the internet yield more versions, among them:
dx x dp (larger or equal to) h/4pie
dt x dE (larger or equal to) h/4pie
[tex] \Delta p \Delta x \geq \frac{\hbar}{2} \ \ \ \ \Delta E \Delta t \geq \frac{\hbar}{2} \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ with \ \ \hbar = \frac{h}{2 \pi}[/tex]

The smallest possible value is found in the case of the
the Gaussian Function only. For any other function it is more.

Regards, Hans
 
dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
12,965
536
Yeah,Marlon,you forgot about that 2 in the denominator... :rolleyes:

It happens...

Daniel.
 
dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
12,965
536
niehls said:
This might be a stupid question, but i seem to find different versions of this the more i look. I have a big exam tomorrow, and i have a slight problem. The thing is that our textbook says that Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is
dx x dp (larger or equal to) h
dt x dE (larger or equal to) h

looking through my notes, i find
dx x dp (larger or equal to) h/2pie
dt x dE (larger or equal to) h/2pie

and a search on the internet yield more versions, among them:
dx x dp (larger or equal to) h/4pie
dt x dE (larger or equal to) h/4pie

hmm. could someone please try to explain this discrepancy to me. And please hurry, exam tomorrow :smile:

Thanks
First of all,it's not "d",but "Delta=[itex]\Delta [/itex]",okay??

There's no "uncertainty in the uncertainty principle"... :tongue2: QM principles show the relations given by Hans...That's that...

Daniel.

PS.Actually,they are valid in a far more general sense...
 
25
0
i know it's delta, just wasn't in the mood for learning tex :)

ok, i still don't know which version to use in different scenarios. I expect questions similar to:

"In the strong interaction a particle is exchanged between the protons and neutrons in the nucleus. Knowing that the distance in which the strong force acts is 1.4e-15m, estimate the energy of the particle (with speed near light speed)?"

This is a simple example, but i still need to use the "correct" version of the uncertainty principle. which one would i use in this case?

oh, and uncertainty in the uncertainty principle was a joke from the beginning for those of you who didn't get that... cheesy.
 
Last edited:
jtbell
Mentor
15,404
3,194
The value of the constant in the HUP depends on how you define "uncertainty". The standard way is to use the standard deviations of the probabilty distributions of the variables. In terms of expectation values:

[tex] \Delta x = \sqrt {<x^2> - {<x>}^2 } [/tex]

and similarly for p, which gives

[tex] \hbar / 2 = h / 4 \pi [/tex]

for the constant.
 
dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
12,965
536
What's the point??It wouldn't serve him anything...It would still leave him with one eq.and 2 unknowns.However,the HUP would do the trick and solve his problem...

Daniel.
 

Related Threads for: Uncertainty in heisenbergs uncertainty principle

Replies
22
Views
4K
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
13
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
22
Views
6K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
38
Views
7K
  • Last Post
Replies
6
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
2K
Top