1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uncertainty in the wavepacket

1. Aug 30, 2007 #1

I'm puzzled by a couple of formulae in the answer sheet to a problem set I'm working on.

To calc. the new uncertainty in the position of a group of electrons, initially localised to [tex]\pm1\mum[/tex], after time t, it uses the factor:

[tex]\left(1+\frac{\hbar^{2}(\Delta k^{4}t^{2})}{4m^{2}}\right)^{1/2}[/tex]

The equation I would use for the probability density of this wave is

\left|\Psi(z,t)\right|^{2} = \frac{\pi.(\Delta k^{2})}{\left(1+\frac{\hbar^{2}(\Delta k^{4}t^{2})}{4m^{2}}\right)^{1/2}}.exp\left(\frac{(\Delta k^{2})(z-vt)^{2}}{2\left(1+\frac{\hbar^{2}(\Delta k^{4}t^{2})}{4m^{2}}\right)}\right)

The denominator of the exp. component describes the increasing width of the wave packet (whereas [tex]\left(1+\frac{\hbar^{2}(\Delta k^{4}t^{2})}{4m^{2}}\right)^{1/2}[/tex] describes the decreasing peak height). I am puzzled by the square root sign they've introduced. Shouldn't they have simply applied it without?

Clearly, one needs to calc. [tex]\Delta k[/tex] to determine the new uncertainty in position, but I'm also puzzled by the claim that [tex]\Delta p\Delta z \approx \sqrt{2}[/tex] (nowhere justified). How do they figure that one?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2007 #2
    The uncertainty of a gaussian is usually taken to be its std. dev. The denominator in the exponent is usually [tex]2\sigma^2[/tex] where sigma is the S.D.
  4. Aug 30, 2007 #3

Thank you. :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?