1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uncertainty (Measurements)

1. Mar 31, 2016 #1

averycasille

Gold Member

Hello, guys! (And girls, but.. you know..)
    There are several things I do not quite understand, so, can you help me clear my doubts? ^^

1) How do I know when to multiply the value of calculated data when it comes to determining the uncertainty of the data?

2) When do I multiply the percentage of accuracy with given data when determining uncertainty?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2016 #2
    I have no idea what you are asking, Perhaps you could give an example of your issue.

4. Mar 31, 2016 #3

averycasille

Gold Member

Sorry for being unclear!
    • The manufacturers of a digital voltmeter give, as its specification, accuracy +-1% with an additional uncertainty of +-10mV. The meter reads 4.072V. How should this reading be recorded, together with its uncertainty?

5. Mar 31, 2016 #4
    You record the reading as is 4.072 V. The uncertainty should be 1% of that reading + 10 mV.= 0.0407 V + .01 V = .0.0417 V =0.042 V ( rounding )

6. Mar 31, 2016 #5

averycasille

Gold Member

Ohh. So, when the specific accuracy is given, I should always multiply with the data and add it with the additional uncertainty? Is that it?
    Also, regarding the rounding off, that should be based on significant figures/decimal place of the data? O.O

7. Mar 31, 2016 #6
    yes

8. Mar 31, 2016 #7

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

0.0407V + 0.010 V = 0.0507V which is 0.051 after rounding to an appropriate precision.

9. Mar 31, 2016 #8

averycasille

Gold Member

Thanks, peeps! But, significant figure OR decimal place? Sorry for asking a lot

10. Mar 31, 2016 #9

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

As a general rule, significant figures are not appropriate in the real world. They are a toy for the classroom. The reporting conventions for your organization should be followed. One recommendation from http://web.mit.edu/fluids-modules/www/exper_techniques/1.Recording.Uncertainty.pdf is:

"As described above, to determine a quantity x, we make a measurement, report our best estimate, and report the range over which we are reasonably confidant the actual value lies: (measured value of x) = xbest ± δx ."

e.g. 4.072 ± .051 V

11. Mar 31, 2016 #10

averycasille

Gold Member

Thanks for the assistance, everyone. Means a lot Really appreciate it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted