Uncertainty of a chosen value

In summary, the individual sets of readings consisted of voltage against angle readings averaged to obtain a maximum. This was then used to determine an angle at which the maximum applied. The standard error on the mean of the angle was used as the error on each value.
CricK0es

Homework Statement

I have taken 5 sets of readings of voltage against angle for an experiment to determine specific rotation. (I'm using the maxima to determine the phase shift) So, having averaged these values and determined the maximum, I can then trace back to the angle at which this appears. Naturally, this will move depending on the concentration of my solution.

But I don't know how I should obtain the error on this angle. Because I'm obtaining it via the voltage maximums and then merely tracing back to known/consistent values...

So I feel a little stuck, Any guidance would be very much appreciated

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I considered taking the fractional error on my mean voltage and simply applying this to my angle to accommodate for fluctuation [As in the mean value may be the greatest, but individual readings within my 5 may fall before or beyond.]

OR

Use each individual set and determine an angle at which the maximum applies, and then use the standard error on the mean of the angle as my error on each value

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, but I could do with a clearer description of the experiment and how you dealt with the data.
What does one set of readings consist of?
What numbers are being averaged, and of what numbers is the maximum being taken?
Maybe you could post the full details of your working.

haruspex said:
Sorry, but I could do with a clearer description of the experiment and how you dealt with the data.
What does one set of readings consist of?
What numbers are being averaged, and of what numbers is the maximum being taken?
Maybe you could post the full details of your working.

It's okay. I managed to sort it out and the latter approach was the correct one. I had marked it as solved using my phone but it musn't have gone through. Regardless, thank you

What is uncertainty?

Uncertainty refers to the amount of doubt or lack of precision associated with a given value or measurement. It is often expressed as a range of possible values that the true value could fall within.

Why is uncertainty important in science?

Uncertainty is important in science because it provides a measure of the reliability and accuracy of a particular value or measurement. It allows scientists to understand the limitations of their data and make informed decisions based on the level of uncertainty.

How is uncertainty calculated?

Uncertainty is typically calculated using statistical methods, such as standard deviation or confidence intervals. These methods take into account the variability and precision of the data to determine a range of possible values for the true value.

What factors can contribute to uncertainty?

There are several factors that can contribute to uncertainty, including limitations in measurement tools, human error, and natural variability in the data. It is important for scientists to carefully consider and account for these factors in order to reduce uncertainty in their results.

How can uncertainty be reduced?

Uncertainty can be reduced by improving the precision and accuracy of measurements, increasing the sample size, and minimizing sources of error. It is also important for scientists to report their uncertainties accurately and transparently in order to promote reproducibility and reliability in scientific research.