1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uncertainty of a derivative

1. Oct 6, 2015 #1
    y = a / (x - b)3

a = 77.1 ± 15.2
    b = -1.78 ± 1.18
    x = 21 ± 1

---

y' = -3a / (x - b)4

How do I find the uncertainty of y'? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You can use the differential of y (dy) to approximate the uncertainty in y. Here, because a, b, and x are varying, what you have is y' = f(a, b, x) = ##\frac {-3a} {(x - b)^4}##.
    So ##\Delta y' \approx dy' = \frac{\partial f}{\partial a} da + \frac{\partial f}{\partial b} db + \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} dx##
    For da, db, dx, use the ± values above.

4. Oct 6, 2015 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can compute y' for all 8 values a = 77.1 - 15.2, 77.1 + 15.2, b = -1.78 - 1.18, -1.78 + 1.18, x = 21-1, 21+1. Since that might be tedious, you can try to figure out ahead of time where the extreme values of y' will be found. The largest value of ##|y'| = 3 a / |x-b|^4## will occur when the numerator is as large as possible and the denominator is a small as possible. The minimum of ##|y'|## will be found from conditions opposite to those above.

I am a bit skeptical about using the formula for ##\Delta y'## given in #2, because in this case the ##da, db## are not "small" (but, perhaps, ##dx## is small enough).

5. Oct 6, 2015 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

That thought also occurred to me. Even ##\Delta x## is not all that small, at about 5% of x. The increments for a and b are much worse.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted