Uncertainty of a derivative

In summary, it may be best to simply do the calculation for all 8 values of a, b, and x to get the full range of possible values for y'.
Xizel
y = a / (x - b)3

a = 77.1 ± 15.2
b = -1.78 ± 1.18
x = 21 ± 1

---

y' = -3a / (x - b)4

How do I find the uncertainty of y'? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Xizel said:
y = a / (x - b)3

a = 77.1 ± 15.2
b = -1.78 ± 1.18
x = 21 ± 1

---

y' = -3a / (x - b)4

You can use the differential of y (dy) to approximate the uncertainty in y. Here, because a, b, and x are varying, what you have is y' = f(a, b, x) = ##\frac {-3a} {(x - b)^4}##.
So ##\Delta y' \approx dy' = \frac{\partial f}{\partial a} da + \frac{\partial f}{\partial b} db + \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} dx##
For da, db, dx, use the ± values above.

Likes Xizel
Xizel said:
y = a / (x - b)3

a = 77.1 ± 15.2
b = -1.78 ± 1.18
x = 21 ± 1

---

y' = -3a / (x - b)4

You can compute y' for all 8 values a = 77.1 - 15.2, 77.1 + 15.2, b = -1.78 - 1.18, -1.78 + 1.18, x = 21-1, 21+1. Since that might be tedious, you can try to figure out ahead of time where the extreme values of y' will be found. The largest value of ##|y'| = 3 a / |x-b|^4## will occur when the numerator is as large as possible and the denominator is a small as possible. The minimum of ##|y'|## will be found from conditions opposite to those above.

I am a bit skeptical about using the formula for ##\Delta y'## given in #2, because in this case the ##da, db## are not "small" (but, perhaps, ##dx## is small enough).

Likes Xizel
Ray Vickson said:
I am a bit skeptical about using the formula for ##\Delta y'## given in #2, because in this case the ##da, db## are not "small" (but, perhaps, ##dx## is small enough).
That thought also occurred to me. Even ##\Delta x## is not all that small, at about 5% of x. The increments for a and b are much worse.

What is the uncertainty of a derivative?

The uncertainty of a derivative refers to the measure of the range of possible values for the derivative of a given function. It represents the degree of inaccuracy or imprecision in the calculation of the derivative.

How is uncertainty of a derivative calculated?

The uncertainty of a derivative is typically calculated using the standard error propagation formula, which takes into account the uncertainties in the measured variables and their respective derivatives.

What factors affect the uncertainty of a derivative?

The uncertainty of a derivative is affected by several factors, such as the accuracy of the measured values, the sensitivity of the function to small changes, and the method used to calculate the derivative.

Why is it important to consider the uncertainty of a derivative?

Considering the uncertainty of a derivative is important because it allows us to understand the range of possible values for the derivative and the level of confidence we can have in its accuracy. It also helps us to evaluate the reliability of our data and the potential impact of any errors or limitations in our measurements.

How can uncertainty of a derivative be minimized?

The uncertainty of a derivative can be minimized by improving the accuracy of the measured values, using more precise methods for calculating the derivative, and reducing the sensitivity of the function to small changes. It is also important to carefully consider and account for any potential sources of error in the data.