1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uncertainty of a ticker timer

1. Mar 3, 2009 #1
    Hey everyone,

First off, hopefully I am in the right topic.

Now i just had a lab last week, where we had to calculate acceleration and talk about motion using data we got from a ticker timer. One of the requirements of the report is to find and talk about uncertainty of the ticker timer. The ticker timer is a 60 Hz one so it *should* tick 60 times a second. I was thinking first that there might be some fluctuations of the power, but i realized that there may be some machines a lot more sensitive to fluctuation of the current, and the teacher told me i was right, so it should therfore be something regarding the fact that it doesn't tick 60 times a second, but why?

If i ddin't use proper scientific terms would you also kindly correct me?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Variation in frequency on a power line is very small. I recall watching a frequency meter at a power plant while on the night shift, and unless lightning took out a generator the frequency never varied as much as a tenth of a per cent.

Consider for a moment the accuracy in measuring the dots on the tape. I suspect you only measured to the nearest mm. (Don't feel bad - the size of the dots probably makes it impossible to do better.) If you then calculated the distance between two dots each plus/minus half a mm, you have plus or minus a full mm on your delta d. If you calculate velocity as v = delta d/delta t, where delta t is 1/60 second, your velocity is plus or minus 60 mm/s. That may be your most important error.

If things got going really fast and your dots became slide marks, much more error.

4. Mar 3, 2009 #3

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook