1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uncertainty of results

1. Nov 12, 2011 #1
    I am trying to figure out how to refer to two overlapping uncertainty results. I have to write a conclusion and I find it difficult to explain. Even now it may seem unclear as to what I am referring to so I will provide an example. This is directly from my conclusion.

'The 72 rated golf ball had a higher power transfer ratio of 1.482 (±0.197) and that of the 98 rated ball had a ratio of 1.343 (±0.287).'

The two results 'overlap'. How do I refer to this? These are two different results for two difference independent variables.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2011 #2
    I don't know what they are looking for, but I would say that the 72 probably has a higher power transfer ratio but considerable doubt remains. The exact probability that the 98 is better is hard to calculate, so I think they don't want that. Maybe you could draw a graph that would demonstrate the uncertainty.

4. Nov 13, 2011 #3
    If you're doing a single comparison like this, you should use a Student's t test. In this case it will show the difference of means is not significant.

BBB

5. Nov 13, 2011 #4
    PatrickPowers, I was looking for something similar to you answer 'the 72 probably has a higher power transfer ratio but considerable doubt remains'.
    I also found on the internet something like 'the absolute uncertainty is less than the difference in uncertainty hence it cannot be fully reliable'. I was looking for an answer like that however I still am not sure if that is right. There is no need to make any graph, I am just looking for a way to describe it when the uncertainty is larger than the difference.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook