1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uncertainty (physics)

1. Aug 5, 2010 #1
    I am having a lot pf problem to attempt this question, please help me, i am stuck..!!!!!!

The power loss P in a resistor is calculated using the formula p=v^2/R

The uncertainty in the potential difference V is 3% and the uncertainty in the resistance R is 2%. What is the Uncertainty in P?

A/ 4%

B/ 7%

C/ 8%

D/ 11%

Hmmm My attempt:

Fractional error = in V, 0.09 and in R 0.2 i subtracted and i got 0.11 that is 11% ANSWER D

And i can be at 98% sure that the answer is not correct as uncertainty cannot be substrate d ..??? please help me to attempt the question !!!!!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2010 #2
    the fractional error in V is 6% (3% x 2), not 9%. if it's a square, the fractional error doubles; if it is a cube, the fractional error triples; and so on...

the fractional error in R is 2%.

ADD them up. If I remember correctly you never subtract any fractional error. it just add them all.

The answer should be C, 8%.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook