1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uncertainty principle and tv picture tube

1. Mar 10, 2005 #1
    hey, Im really confused with this problem, i have tried to solve it for a while now but i cant seem to get it, i really dont even know where to start with it.

In a TV picture tube the accelerating voltage is V, and the electron beam passes through an aperture with a diameter of Delta_y and hits a screen which is a distance of x away.

What is the uncertainty in position of the point where the electrons strike the screen?
    Use h for Planck's constant, m_e for the mass of an electron, and e for the magnitude of the charge on an electron.

any help would be great.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The idea is that the uncertainty in the position of the particle after it passes the aperture is [itex]\Delta y[/itex], which, if it is small enough, leads to an uncertainty in the momentum of the particle.

Use Heisenberg to find the order of this uncertainty in momentum.
  4. Mar 11, 2005 #3
    when i find the uncertainty in the momentum that will be the x component of the momentum since it is a distance x away from the tv?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?