Finding the Correct Equation for Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle to determine the time interval for a laser to cover the whole visible spectrum. The equation given is incorrect and should be $\delta E\mbox{ }\delta t\geq\frac{\hbar}{2}=\frac{h}{4\pi}$, and the correct method is to differentiate the energy formula and substitute it back into the uncertainty principle equation. However, there seems to be confusion due to an error in the given value of h.
Lancelot59
I'm given a form of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle in the form of:

[tex]\Delta E\Delta t\geq h[/tex]

I need to determine a time interval which would allow a laser to cover the whole visible spectrum, from 400 to 700nm.

Now given the relationship is on on a relative scale I used the approximation:
[tex]\Delta E\Delta t\approx h[/tex]

I then used the following formula:

[tex]E=\frac{hc}{\lambda}[/tex]
and differentiated like so:
[tex]\Delta E = -\frac{hc}{\lambda ^{2}}\Delta \lambda[/tex]
Which I then substituted back in:

[tex](-\frac{hc}{\lambda ^{2}}\Delta \lambda)\Delta t \approx h[/tex]

Is this correct so far?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lancelot59 said:
I'm given a form of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle in the form of:

[tex]\Delta E\Delta t\geq h[/tex]

I need to determine a time interval which would allow a laser to cover the whole visible spectrum, from 400 to 700nm.

Now given the relationship is on on a relative scale I used the approximation:
[tex]\Delta E\Delta t\approx h[/tex]

I then used the following formula:

[tex]E=\frac{hc}{\lambda}[/tex]
and differentiated like so:
[tex]\Delta E = -\frac{hc}{\lambda ^{2}}\Delta \lambda[/tex]
Which I then substituted back in:

[tex](-\frac{hc}{\lambda ^{2}}\Delta \lambda)\Delta t \approx h[/tex]

Is this correct so far?

Actually, the equation is not correct (I'm assuming h to be the Planck's constant). It would be:

$$ \delta E\mbox{ }\delta t\geq\frac{\hbar}{2}=\frac{h}{4\pi} $$

Also, I don't see what you differentiated with respect to.

dimension10 said:
Actually, the equation is not correct (I'm assuming h to be the Planck's constant). It would be:

$$ \delta E\mbox{ }\delta t\geq\frac{\hbar}{2}=\frac{h}{4\pi} $$

So if you were to use the correct equation with the same method, then you would have been correct.

I see the issue. The problem set gave us the wrong h...I'll re run it and let you know the result.

EDIT: I'm confused now. Should I be using h bar in all of the locations? This error in the problem set has mixed me up.

Last edited:

1. What is the Uncertainty Principle Problem?

The Uncertainty Principle Problem, also known as the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. This means that there will always be a degree of uncertainty in measuring these two properties of a particle.

2. Who discovered the Uncertainty Principle?

The Uncertainty Principle was first proposed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927. He was working on developing a new mathematical formulation of quantum mechanics when he came across the idea of uncertainty in measurement.

3. How does the Uncertainty Principle impact our understanding of the physical world?

The Uncertainty Principle has significant implications for our understanding of the physical world. It challenges the classical notion of determinism, which suggests that everything in the universe can be predicted with absolute certainty. The principle suggests that at a fundamental level, there is always an element of uncertainty and randomness in the behavior of particles.

4. Can the Uncertainty Principle be overcome?

No, the Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and cannot be overcome. It is a result of the inherent nature of particles at a quantum level and is not a limitation of measuring instruments or techniques.

5. How is the Uncertainty Principle relevant to everyday life?

While the Uncertainty Principle may seem abstract and irrelevant to our daily lives, it actually has many practical applications. For example, it is the basis for modern technologies such as MRI machines and computer hard drives. It also plays a role in our understanding of chemical reactions and the behavior of matter in various physical systems.